- advertisement -

unexplained lows post meals and all day -celiac?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kellykate, Mar 18, 2013.

1. kellykate

kellykate Approved members

My 3 year-old daughter is going through a very strange time in D-land! We are getting no post-breakfast spike-- rather a drop. She is running on the lower-end pretty much all day --usually never getting much above 100. Although, her bg average over the past few weeks is phenomenal --it is not normal and I can tell something just isn't right.

Is there anyone who has had this happen? Is there a reason she would be running low --she doesn't act sick. We haven't made any big ratio or basal changes. Is it possible that she may have Celiac which is messing with her food absorption? Anyone have experience with this?

She is on the Dexcom G4 so we have a great view on whats going on all day. Thanks for your help!!!:cwds:

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Have you considered that possibly her basals are a bit too high, or the I:C ratio? I'd study those first before jumping to Celiac.

3. kellykate

kellykate Approved members

Yes, we have lowered everything --which is odd because we've never had to do a whole "lowering". She didn't have a honeymoon phase so we have just steadily increased things as she's grown. It is still pretty chilly up here in Maine so she isn't getting a lot more outside play. We are only a year in so I may be missing something obvious but we have never seen anything like this before.
    Today: 60 at waking -bolus a few minutes after she starts eating --eats the meal.
    30 min post meal: 62
    1 hour after: 72
    2 hours after:55 (give uncovered carbs, 50% basal)
    3 hours later: 60

4. Mish

Mish Approved members

If it makes you feel better, we're having the same problem and we're a LOT longer into it. My 2 cents is that it just happens sometimes. I think daily insulin needs in some kids change greatly. Not in every kid, but I know in mine we have wide huge fluctuations in total daily dose. Ours seems to be on a 3 week cycle of some sort, 3 weeks low, 3 weeks high, 3 weeks low, 3 weeks high. Today, for instance, he went low right after breakfast. The same breakfast he normally eats. The same ratios that have been working well. Just a big fat plummet.

and, there is no rule that even 1 year post dx you can't be possibly seeing some minor honeymoon thing.

Also, it's possible that she's going to be coming down with something. I know mine would go low when he'd get an ear infection. :)

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Even a couple of years into D we had stretched where she seemed almost not to have diabetes. The islet cells can rebound for little stretches and it's always confusing when they do. I would not assume celiac, I think it's more likely she's just making a little insulin on her own.

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

She needs even less insulin that she is getting. Continue lowering her basals and insulin received for eating until she is in range.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

One other thing you may want to look at is her sensitivity factor, it may need to be changed too.

As the others have said, there are times when wacky things like this just happen. We had something similar about 2 years in, where she went from getting 3u of Lantus down to 1, had to change all the meal ratios. Sometimes, weird things just happen:cwds:

My suggestion would be to make sure you log everything or download and then look for patterns. Consult your endo and see what they have to say. Next appointment you can always ask for a Celiac screen if you are still concerned about that...

8. fiaz

fiaz Approved members

How weird that we are going through the same thing with our 3 yr old though not as dramatic. The post meal spike has been muted and control has been exceptional. I would say it has been about two weeks now. My guess was that she is older now and all basals except for the midnight one are set higher than the minimum possible (.025). The delivery is probably more accurate with more body weight and clearer level of basals.
    The other reason could be a site issue. If we don't rotate sites enough, there could be differences in absorption rates on different sites.

9. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Sometimes is happens and their overall need for insulin lowers. You just have to respond to the numbers until you get it stabilized. And then it will probably change again.

I see you are in Maine so it is probably not too warm (still have snow expected here tonight in MA) but kids dropping a lot seems to be a spring phenomemon. It could also be just a change in growth hormones, maybe coming out of a period of growth. That's diabetes.

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

Well, if it helps - my DD's basal needs dropped from 33 units to 18 almost overnight - that is huge for a teenage girl. It just happens. All you can do is lower or raise as needed.

If you are really concerned about Celiac, you can call your Endo and ask them to order a blood test.

11. zendiego

zendiego New Member

All these posts sum up my experience with my child, go with the flow its better to err on the side of conservative by lower all the factors that affect the total daily dose than to risk severe lows, you can always work your way back up in terms of dosage.

12. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

Frequent lows with Bethany are most always an indicator that she is getting sick. Just curious if your daughter got sick after all the lows occurred.

13. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

Interesting to find this. We have been going through this with my DD for several days. I'm praying she doesn't get sick. We haven't gotten the dreaded stomach bug since diagnosis. We are 15 months in.