- advertisement -

unexplained low - help!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Charmed7, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

My son has had three days of stubborns low. Today at lunch he was 155 and about 1.5 hours later he dropped down to 30!

Yesterday his after lunch numbers were 43, 50, 63, 68 from 12:40 - 1:45 and the nurse kept giving him juice and food to bring him up. I didn't write the numbers down, but after school he tested 4 more times from 2-5:30 and he was still in the 50's even though they fed him cupcakes and juice and crackers etc.. At 6:30 he finally hit the 100's and went to bed at 161 and he woke up this morning at 208. I gave him 1 unit less for correction than I normally would and gave a higher insulin:carb ratio per dr orders and he got to school and was 160. During a test he felt low so he ate a pudding (20g) and at lunch he was 155. They gave him the higher insulin:carb ratio for lunch and he dropped to 30. Nurse is giving him juice and food to get him back up and keep him there, and I have a call in to the endo for help.

I've never had to deal with stubborn lows. He's always responded to insulin and sugar like he's "supposed" to. Can anyone educate me on why this might be happening?

He was diagnosed at 5 and he's 14 now. So that rules out honeymoon. Maybe hormones? Any insight would be much appreciated. I feel so bad and hope he doesn't have to go another 5 hours of lows again today.

C7

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Spring sports season?

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

Ask you endo about lowering his basal. It could be crazy hormones, or extra activity or almost anything. Let us know how it goes.

4. Charmed7

No spring sports. The dr just said it could even be scar tissue dumping old insulin in the body. Weird! Never even thought about that. But I'm thinking it's the hormone thing. She just reduced everything so we'll see how the weekend goes.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hope that does it :cwds: Those 30's are rough :(

6. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

You are a Charmed fan...just a side question. Loved that show!

Bethany has "unexplained" lows a week prior to her getting sick. I wrote unexplained in parenthesis because a week later they are always explained when she gets a cold or stomach bug. And what you described is exactly what happens to her.

7. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

When I was working with Boston Children's, they told me to always call them immediately on the third attempt to get my child's blood sugars up.

Two attempts and up, carry on. But if on the 3rd test they're still low, they want us to call.

Perhaps you need to call your endo or nurse educator or page them. Something more direct than an email or leaving a message?

They do seem to take that pretty seriously, so I am just assuming that we should be a little more pushy about getting a reply from them when it happens, too.

I can't tell you why it's happening, just what we've been told about calling on that third low reading in a row (when trying to bring it back up).

8. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I was thinking impending stomach illness as well.

9. Lizzy731

When Bethany was first dx and we had to call more often because we were so new they once suggested giving a diluted amount of glucagon to get her BG up. This was during a vomiting episode with a stomach bug. Luckily she came up without having to do this...this I'm just telling you FYI because that's most likely what her endo will tell you God forbid you are ever in a similar situation.

10. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Cast my vote for poor absorption of carbs due to a brewing illness, or, dare I say it, celiac.

11. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

This is exactly what happened with me a few days before my first (and thank God only) stomach bug with d

I've been having stubborn lows all week due to the warmer weather...

12. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

I know your not on the Omnipod, but we had this issue when she put a new pod on...stubborn lows for 3 days. Changed the pod on day 3 and the numbers came back up.

Perhaps change the site to a different location.

OH NEVERMIND...I SEE YOU ARE CURRENTLY ON MDI!!

13. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I've never heard this before! wow... I should call my endo a lot more...=/

14. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

Well, I only commented on it because it makes sense to me. When they're low, aren't they more prone to possible seizures? I'm still struggling to understand, so maybe they don't feel that people who deal with it more regularly need to call.

But I've not had this happen at all yet with Kira, so I would not feel knowledgeable and comfortable about it. I took from the original post that she's also not as experienced with these repeat, stubborn lows.

15. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I know when we were newly diagnosed in the first 6 months this was the recommended course of action. IMO, for a new family this is wise advice.

To the OP...we've seen this with impending illness and with the change of seasons, even when she hasn't started spring sports. Hoping it was just a fluke!

16. Charmed7

Thanks everyone! To respond to some posters:

Yes, I'm a Charmed fan!! :)

We don't have a lot of experience with stubborn lows, as he's always responded well. I do feel I should have called sooner, but they called me right back. He goes to the endo at the Children's Hospital, so I was comfortable waiting for the oncall doctor to call me back right away.

There has been no stomach bug since and sugars are back to normal, so I'm not sure, but I think I might have found the culprit. He had some orthodontics work done on Monday, so for the week he asked for oatmeal and the only kind I had was cinnamon spice. I'm not sure (as I looked around online for confirmation and couldn't find anything solid) but it may have been the cinnamon that was causing the afternoon drop.

I don't know, sometimes it all makes sense and sometimes we're just along for the ride.

C7

17. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We always see lows like this with the changing if the seasons, whether its winter to spring or summer to fall..it doesn't matter. We also see it with any illness and if she's had gluten.

18. Lizzy731

We have had unexplained lows all day today. She has been sneezing. I'm thinking a cold is coming :(