- advertisement -

Understanding Insulin Resistance

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 2' started by Ellen, May 31, 2011.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

2. jims

jims Approved members

Current story leaves out key data on insulin resistance

As a 30 year plus type 2 who has been doing it wrong for the first 26 of 30 years and now getting monster arrested/under control I find the usual description about insulin resistance a ? a rear end story leaving out the other part of the story that creates this mess.

Insulin is a hormone that enables storage of glucose from the blood glucose system to the liver, fat cells, and skeletal muscle cells and the present story assumes that these storage sites simply take on the extra glucose at all times just by throwing insulin at it and ignoring the issue that those sites have finite storage capability.

The critical part of the story glossed over is that these storage sites can and do have the ability to turn off response to insulin in the blood stream to prevent the local storage sites/cells from being over loaded and poisoned on glucose. At this point, this would be described as insulin resistance.
    Current stories peddled is that one simply adds more insulin, Avandia, actos to force more glucose into the cells. I believe this is a very serious mistake and error.

Stopping the problem actually involves getting the glucose of the local storage sites of the liver, fat cells and skeletal muscle cells off loaded and reduced. Only hearty exercise can do that.

Looking at insulin resistance this way also explains why low glycemic ? low carb diets that control energy input to body is needed to ensure the energy is balanced to the actual energy burn of body and that the local storage sites do not get filled up.

Control of Blood glucose levels works on a storage based approach whereby there is supposed to be always room to store glucose in local sites means that when pancreas releases insulin, the glucose will be stored.

From my direct experience getting my mess under controll required the following:
    a) Stopping excess glucose release and incorrect release when liver should be fasting using metformin in proper doses and timing.
    b) Using CGMS to watch BG and stop it going under 100 to stop liver glucose add services that saw liver over dump and release full liver load shooting BG up to 511/hi and slide back to 278-311.
    c) Insulin levels had no impact on liver bad behavior.
    d) 1200 calorie daily diet and careful carb control.
    e) 2 miles walking each day

Previously, I was on actos, 26 units of 75/25 humalog insulin in morning, starlix pills and metformin.
    At that time my A1C was 13.3, my morning BG was 238 and 330 lbs ? couldn?t lose an ounce.

Today, my A1c is 6.4 and average BG runs 140 to 155 and my health problems stopped as I was dying at the previous time and my kidneys started to fail.

Today , I am on metformin doses and 3 to 4 units of Humalog lispro Insulin in am to help stop rampage of liver as metformin dose from 12:00am midnight wears off. My weight has dropped to 250 lbs and am still working.

Amazingly after 26 years on the dam insulin pills, Insulin was not the key factor, my pancreas is back working and liver arrested on metformin. I would have to say the metformin is the key player here. My pancreas has recovered while my liver?s behavior except as modified by metformin has not changed an iota over the last 4 years while the improvements occurred.