- advertisement -

umm.. idk what to call this.. i talked about a lot of stuff.. ( mostly pumping )

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Jordyn, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Jordyn

Jordyn Approved members

So i have this theory right??
    Right..

Well i believe that boredom is a serious thing.. and there should be a stop to this immedtially!!

Ok well incase you cant tell Jordyn (me) is quite bored!!

And im looking all over the place about pumps. Im quite estatic to get one.. and becoming very impatient. I wanted the omni-pod for a long time.. but now the more i look at it, the more negatives i find. Also, lots of other people also found many negatives. So my second choice ( which now i think is my first) is the animas Ping. I really like the fact that it has the remote abilities. im very active, and just started high school this year, and i think the remote would be a great thing to have along with the pump. My mom has also been looking at the minimed which i find wuite popular. out of all of the diabetics at my school ( theres not many) she is the only one with a pump, and she has the minimed. She loves it. My mom loves the fact that it has a cgm..while i really dont mind not having that.

But anyway the point is that im real excited, and wanted your opinions on pumping and what you have to say about your pump expirences ( wheather its negative, positive, or both! ) your pump type, and what its like!

So thanks for all the Help!!
    :)

2. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

I can't help you because I'm not pumping yet either, but just wanted to say that I too am looking at the Ping.
    If there is any advice I can give you, would have to be this: TALK TO MALYSSA. I know that she used a MM, Omnipod and now uses an Cozmo.
    I'm sure that the pump you decide to go with will be the right one for you, well I hope it is anyway:)

3. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

I choose the Animas 2020 because it was waterproof. MM is not waterproof. That was a big deal for me. As well the 2020 comes in pink (the original reason I wanted it hahaha real mature)
    The low doseing was important.
    MM has been around the longest thats why people like it.
    The girl in my school has MM.
    My Animas was a bit smaller but the ping not out in canada is a bit bigger so around the same as the MM.

4. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

Okay, I was in the same situation acouple of months ago. I tried the omnipod and the animas ping. Here is what I concluded

I liked how the omnipod was one thng and a site, but a couple of weeks a go I left my Omnp out on the park bench in fron tof my school and I was half a state away! My grandma got it and I had to have a salad for dinner. I like having it on me. My sites don't hurt.I thought tubing would be a huge hairy deal but itisn't.

Omnipod:
    No tubing
    A little bulkier (the pdm is way big and the pod is big too.)
    you cannot silence or vibrate the alarms (they go off during school and movies.)
    easy menus
    better software
    smaller cannula
    convenient
    waterproof for 30 min
    Animas:
    tubing
    your choice of sites
    vibrate
    remote and pump
    waterproof for 24 hrs

THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT: No matter what you find on the internet, remember that people usuaally post on the internet when they are mad at something, but people don't usually care to if they are satisfied. So when you research, don't focus on the negatives. Prioritize by importance, not quantity.

I would suggest that you trial both animas and omnpo. hey will usually give you 30 days with eeach pump. That is what I did.

there is much more but i have to go. pm me if you need more info.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  5. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Jordyn, I am on the same boat as you! Gets confusing looking at them all, doesn't it?!

There were a few things that have decided the pump for me.

For a long time, I was leaning heavily towards the MM(many at my D center told me Medtronic is the way the go, and their customer support was unbeatable)..I also liked the integrated CGM.

However, after a trial with the Omnipod(which I honestly, was not a fan of in the beginning...if you remember earlier posts!) I decided to go with that one. Upfront, it is a better cost for my family(insurance helps very little right now)...and in the end...I did really enjoy the tubeless. I changed with no issues, jumped in and out of the shower, worked out etc. etc. and I didn't even think about it. While you could see it if you looked, it really wasn't completely obvious. It was a bit itchy the first day, but that went away fairly quickly. After the Pod was removed it didn't leave a rash or anything(it was red for about 20 minutes or so, but went away...which was great since I have sensitive skin).

This guy:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cyclicpitcher

Offers many videos with his Omnipod experience. He goes through the menus, removing Pods, placing Pods, bolusing etc. Really helped me see the entire system in 'use'. You might want to take a look.

I also want to note, if you mom likes the Guardian CGM Medtronic offers, you can still get it seperate for whatever pump you choose(it just will not be integrated with the system).

6. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I looooove my minimed 722 and cgms! I like being able to just push a button and get an idea of where my bg is. Once you have one... you prolly won't want to go back (pump or cgms) I can't think of specific likes/dislikes at the moment but if you have questions about MM feel free to ask me and I will think harder lol

7. Jordyn

Jordyn Approved members

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!!

That really clears things up for me a lott!!

If there is any more suggestions or advice id be happy to know.

Thankss!!

:)

8. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

animas will have a CGM pump late '09-early '10;)
    I have the animas 2020, i started with the 1250. other than the no tubing and remote bolusing, i don't really like the omni. plus, you're going to have a lump under your clothes where ever it is and animas has got the remote bolusing now, i just have to wait to get it. if you wear dresses at all, get the ping. i can't stress this enough. i started jumping up and down when i saw the ping and the RB(remote bolusing). it is such a hassle to always have to find a ladys room to get insulin:mad:

that's all i'm gonna say rightnow, i'm almost 400 and tired;)