- advertisement -

UK insulin availability

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by RomeoEcho, Jun 28, 2016.

1. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

I haven't been around for a long time, but I'm going to be moving to the UK for grad school, living part time in England, part time in Scotland. I'm wondering what's available on the NHS for insulin and other supplies these days, to plan what to stockpile or keep alternate insurance if necessary.

2. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I was hesitant to say anything since it is not an area I know anything about. When I saw your thread the other day I did a quick google search and discovered that the UK had a shortage some time ago. Mostly it was specific products and not all insulin. It makes sense to stockpile insulin if you are in anyplace where you might not have ready access to it. Even here in the states I like to have enough on hand to last awhile so I am not dependent on making a trip to the pharmacy.

I believe that in the UK they will have a somewhat different set of options than we have here, probably with a lot of overlap. I have never heard that they have inferior access to any actual product (just problems with waiting in longer lines, bed occupancy, and funding). Since there are articles out there saying that the system "has run out of money and is operating at the very edge of its limits" I think it would be prudent to keep a stockpile.

If it is not difficult to keep alternate insurance that might not be bad.

Regarding exactly what they have - google?

3. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Congrats on grad school!!! That's wonderful. :)

I don't have any personal experience, but my mil lived in Scotland for over a year. She said the health care system in general was .... Not awesome. I can't say anything specifically about insulin, but she said getting into the dr was difficult, long wait times, people who needed surgery were denied based on criteria that seems ridiculous in the USA,....stuff like that. I can't imagine they would deny insulin for someone win t1d though. Have some extra on hand at all times, if possible (a good idea for anyone needing insulin) but you may have to kind of wait and see what it's like over there.

Good luck! :)