- advertisement -

ugh...

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Izzi, May 14, 2012.

1. Izzi

Izzi Approved members

So I got invited to a birthday party. A swim party. I hate parties in general because of diabetes and not being able to eat anything there because its all homemade food, but swim parties are my least favorite because of unhooking my pump and my CGM showing. My friend knows I have diabetes but doesn't understand most of it. I don't want to go to the party as I haven't even told my mom (got the invite via text). I don't want to make my friiend feel bad because I don't want to go. What or how do I tell her I'm not going?

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

If you really don't want to go but you don't want to talk about diabetes, you could just tell her that you're not able to make it but not talk about the reason. She will probably just assume that you're already busy that day. However, if you want to go other than diabetes, maybe you could find a way to fit diabetes around it. For example, if you wore a one-piece swimsuit or a tankini you could put the CGM sensor and the infusion set both on your abdomen. That way they wouldn't be visible. And as for unhooking, as long as you reconnect every hour or so and bolus to correct highs, you shouldn't have a problem.

3. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Sorry to butt my "mom" nose into your thread...but this makes me so sad.:( You have to do what is best for you, of course, but, by not going, don't you kind of feel you are letting D "win?" Don't let it rule your life!! I know that is easier said than done, and it is hard to have something about you that is different at this point in your life. I don't have D, I am only the mom and aunt of people with D. I can't really know how it feels. But avoiding things that make you happy or are fun because of D is not a good road to start down.

It may be hard at first, but the only way you will learn how to handle these situations is to put yourself IN them. Sure there will be lots of homemade stuff, but there will probably be hot dogs and hamburgers, maybe pizza...things that you probably know the carb count of. Stick to that stuff and a diet coke until you feel more confident about guesstimating carbs. You have a CGM, which should make it a little easier to see if you guessed right. If you guessed wrong, well, you'll have better luck next time...not the end of the world. As for unhooking your pump, can you just do it in the bathroom for privacy??? No one would have to watch. And, perhaps you could go without your CGM sensor for that day if you are uncomfortable?

There are ways to make this better for you. I hope you will think about them before you make your decision. Don't let D take your good times away from you.:) You are only young once, and the memories and experiences you have now will be something you can happily look back on for your whole life. LIVE those experiences...don't let D sideline you.

Good luck with whatever you decide.:cwds:

4. Izzi

Izzi Approved members

I like to hear what parents have to say actually. I would like to know what they would tell their son/daughter.

Where I live there aren't many type 1 diabetics around here... mostly type 2 , so I find it kinda hard to "fit" in. I asked her what kinda of stuff she was having with another friend (nond) who wanted to know as well. The menu is cupcakes and hot dogs.
    Not sure what I'm gonna do just yet. Any more inputs would greatly be appricated.

5. Izzi

Izzi Approved members

Sorry about typos...replied on my phone

6. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

I would tell my son to go. I would probably make him go! Don't let D make your decisions for you. Like Emma said, you could hide your cgm. (Or, could you not wear it for that day? I don't know if you take breaks from it at all?) I really agree with Emma. You could hook up every hour or so and just do corrections. My son doesn't have his pump hooked up when we go swimming, for several hours, his activity covers for the missed basals.

You could keep your meter in the bathroom (I'm sure you could put it in the medicine cabinet or bathroom drawer) and test in the bathroom.

Hot dogs are great! So easy to count carbs for individual food like that. Ice cream, perhaps you can ask your friend to have special ice cream for you, but make it an option for everyone. Our nutritionist told us that Edy's Rich and Creamy is her preferred option for diabetics over sugar free options. She looked at all the nutrionals, and decided that's healthiest. Perhaps your friend could have something "regular" like that. Do you weigh your food? You could bring a travel scale, and your friend's mom could weigh your ice cream in the house, away from the other kids. (If that's a concern.) Ask your friend's mom if she can make sure that diet sodas are available too. (Or bring a diet coke in a can from home, and pour it into a cup if that's how everyone else is drinking theirs.)

I would tell my son to go, and while trying to keep it discrete, if something comes up, take it as a learning opportunity for your friends. You never know, one of them might end up needing to know that information in the future. Plus, it should help them become more open-minded about others. :)

7. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I would tell my son just what I told you!:) And hot dog rolls and cupcakes are pretty standard to bolus for. Just watch out for the amount of icing on the cupcake...or take it off if you're worried.

If you were invited to this party, your friend already feels you "fit in" with her!:) And anyone you are going to want as a true friend is not going to mind where you get your insulin from...inside or outside! It is who you are, not your insulin source, that will matter in a friendship. If someone can't get past your pump, I say you should move past them!;) You wouldn't want such a shallow friend. Your D is not the most important thing about you. You have plenty of other great qualities that will help you fit in. I watched my niece grow from a 2 year old with D through her teen years, and she is now married with kids. She didn't know anyone else with D growing up either, but she made plenty of great friends who loved her just the way she is. Your friends will too.

Make sure it is not you stopping yourself from fitting in...don't assume what people will think. People may surprise you...and someone who can support you with your D will surely be supportive as a friend in general. It's kind of a good test to see the type of person you are dealing with.;) Without D, a person who is not a true friend would probably show their real stripes eventually...hurting you after you'd already grown attached to them. WITH D, you'll be able to spot that type of person right away. If they are rude or dismissive of you or don't want to get to know you just because of D...well, like I said, you can thank them for not wasting your time in getting to know them because that's all you NEED to know.

Again, good luck! I'd keep thinking things through. If you would have gone to this party if you DIDN'T have D...then you should definitely go. Think how you'll feel if you don't.:(

8. Izzi

Izzi Approved members

I thought id let y'all know that I'm going to go to her party. Im not gonna swim, but I'm gonna go and enjoy it. Thank you all for your input.

Sorry bout typos again. On phone. Pc broke

9. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

That's great news...and a good compromise! Now, next time, maybe you'll be ready to make a "splash!!"

Have a fantastic time!!!!:):):):):):)

10. Izzi

Izzi Approved members

I thought id let y'all know that I'm going to go to her party. Im not gonna swim, but I'm gonna go and enjoy it. Thank you all for your input.

Sorry bout typos again. On phone. Pc broke

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I hope you have lots of fun!