- advertisement -

UGH!!!

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mapoe4, May 4, 2011.

1. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

Sorry for screaming. I am about to go out of my mind.
    Prednisone, Bactrim and claritin (all liquid forms). BG thru the roof.
    Ear infection, allergies, and possible asthma (monitoring it to see if it is or isn't)
    3 days of missed school again.
    John tried to go this morning but got half way there and started having problems breathing again.
    John has missed so much school this year. More than last year, I think. His grades aren't suffering. He even made the Principal list a couple weeks ago for having straight A's.
    The last 3 months he has been getting sick alot. All the kids have and I am so tired anymore. All I want to do is sleep and then I can't sleep.
    Everything piling up all at once and I just can't seem to figure out how to deal with it all at once.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm sorry to hear that everyone has been so sick. :(

I hope now that your FIL isn't living with you anymore that no one is smoking in the house or around the kids. Every single thing you listed in your post (asthma, colds, allergies, ear infections) can be triggered or aggravated by secondhand smoke. If you haven't already, it could really help to deep-clean your house inside and out to get rid of all the chemicals that can linger from secondhand smoke in the curtains, furniture, pillows, etc. I'd even consider a fresh coat of (non-VOC) paint.

Hopefully with time you'll see a decrease in the kids' illnesses.

Glad to see you around the board again. Take care.

3. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Rather than push school while he is sick, I would really let him rest and make sure he gets plenty of liquids. This is a time to be careful pneumonia doesn't set in to his lungs. The prednisone makes bg go up- it is a steroid. So does infection of course. I have been thru this with my child but b4 he had t1dm. It took him weeks to be able to breathe normally again. He got pneumonia and was on Bactrim and prednisone and the albuterol inhaler. I wonder about it taking so long for a doc to diagnose asthma. I would get a second opinion of that- if he is having trouble breathing I would want to know why.

4. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

He's been on the prednisone and albuterol before. And so I know it makes the BG go up. Just having a heck of a time keeping it down this time.
    His pedi is great and has been monitoring him about his breathing. Just this time he is wanting me to track it. Usually he only has problems when he has a cold. It's only been the last 3 months that it has been worse. He wants to see if maybe its because of the season or if it is getting worse.
    As for the ear infection it is most likely from swimming all weekend for the past two.
    But thanks for the input.

5. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

Yuk.. I am sorry you are going through this :(

I have never dealt with asthma, but for mild ear infections, or even after swimming without infections, we use H2O2. We use a drop in one ear and lay on the opposite side (so that the peroxide stays in the ear) for 5-10 min. Repeat on the other side....the other side will drain at this point, turn over again for a couple of minutes after the second ear. This also helps us with congestion. It feels cold/weird going in, but it's very quick.

We also rinse/gargle with peroxide for sore throats and while they are a bit congested.

I don't know how 'effective' it truly is, but my kids and I seem to get over cold, mild infections very quickly with it.

I hope you are able to get some rest. Allergy season can be hell!

6. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

My son had a one week cold since he was dx, and it shot his bg up. I am not looking forward to when he gets REALLY sick. I know that trial by fire is gonna happen someday...

7. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I am on Bactrim right now and my BGs have been amazing, however, if I miss one dose, they go through the roof. When I'm done with it I'm going to have to raise my insulin doses!

8. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

I had so many colds, flu's, ear infections, throat infections and the like growing up. My dad smoked in the house but has now been smoke free for 5 years. If you do have a smoker in the house I hope that person will start going outside to smoke. It wasn't known what the risks were when I was a kid (anyway I didn't know so didn't complain -- it was just part of life) but now we know. Hope your kids are feeling better soon.

9. irishmom

irishmom Approved members

sorry you have sick one....i can relate ..this is Patricks second round of prednisone in 2 months..albuterol...3 allerg med...inhaler and nasal spray...and the incresases in insulin talking to endo everyday...and all the overnite checks and still taking care of 6 other kids...i would LOVE to sleep>>>thats my wish for Mothers day....a couple few hours nap...lol....this morning is our last dose of steroid...but the albuterol makes his numbers go up too..just not as high

hope it get better for you...
    Marcia

10. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I've been in a similar boat with my son. LOTS of illnesses since the beginning of this year. Vomiting, diarrhea, infected finger, you name it. Has missed too much school...not good for one with ADHD trying to catch up with the class. Now, he has an awful cough I thought sounded like pertussis. Brought him to the doc yesterday, probably not pertussis because he was just vaccinated 2 years ago, but he does have an ear infection I didn't know about...which could account for the crappy BGs...haven't seen so many 300s since he was diagnosed...can't get a handle on it. Started antibiotic last night...hoping for the best.

Hope for the best for you as well!:cwds: Hang in there...you'll make it through!