- advertisement -

Ugh! I still can't believe I care what people think!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by StillMamamia, Nov 3, 2010.

1. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Just venting, about myself actually.

Once in a while I go with the boys to have breakfast at the pastry shop. Besides pastries, the shop does have sandwiches and the like, but of course, the boys end up choosing...those yummy chocolate "croissant" thingies you get here. Aaaanyway, I still feel awkward (and perhaps embarrassed) about testing and bolusing him there, just because I've had people ask what I was doing and then I have to explain what and why and etc. Usually with the standard "Oh, but he can eat anything in moderation" added in.:rolleyes:

So, to avoid that, I test him in the car before going in, then discreetly bolus.

I truly don't know why it bothers me so much. I think maybe deep inside it's that old thinking creeping in - D and sweets is a no-no. I know it's wrong to think this way, but everytime I go there, I get that uncomfortable feeling.:mad:

Just a vent. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. meg9901

meg9901 Approved members

It's probably a small little shop where everything you do is so public and visible. I don't blame you for feeling conspicuous, despite the fact that you should feel justified testing where ever you need to.

On top of that, maybe you just want to get that testing out of the way so that you can get the bolus done more quickly in case you need a little extra time for the insulin to start working for that croissant. Sounds like good planning to me!

We did the same thing going out to breakfast yesterday. I could have absolutely tested in the restaurant. It was a big chain place. But it was easier to get the testing out of the way so I could spend my time in there focusing on what the bolus for pancakes and fruit cup would be. And if she had been high, I could have dosed the correction earlier than the food bolus for sure.

I know it stinks, but you did good!

3. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

oh those chocolate croissant thingies sound good

people in general just don't understand they think there is just one type of D and that its caused by the foods we eat. can't teach the whole world.

4. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Paula, those are very popular here in Japan. And they have so many great bakeries here. Several of them within walking-distance from us.

Now I want one... well, we have croissants and we have Nutella...

5. samheis

samheis Approved members

Very big hugs to you Paula!!

I feel that way sometimes. Like this week, I've been tossing a couple of pieces of halloween candy in Sam's lunch, and I stress about what the lunch ladies must think :rolleyes::eek:

At least we know better:cwds:

6. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

I think for me it's just to avoid someone who doesn't have a clue from speaking to me about something they think they know about but actually know less than nothing! :)

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

So who else in the pastry shop has to defend and explain their digestive process? I'm guessing...no one!

I think it's perfectly healthy for both you and to test and bolus Ian in the car. I don't think it's about being awkward, ( I know that you are a graceful boluser :cool:) it's about protecting his privacy and preserving his sense of "normalcy". :cwds:

8. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

I get why you feel that way for sure! We do everything in public but I know how a nice meal or day can be ruined by a stupid comment.

9. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

Yeah, I totally get how you feel. There's nothing worse than when you're going to have a great treat and fun time with your kiddo and then some moron with no social etiquette has to come along and open their mouth just to show you how ignorant they are.

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yum.. chocolate croissants..

That's all. :p

Really, I don't think it matters whether you test and bolus in the car or inside, as long as you don't make Ian feel like he should be ashamed of what he's doing. If he's fine with it and you're fine with it.. well.. it's fine. :)