- advertisement -

Ugg boots?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mamattorney, Oct 8, 2013.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I've been dreading this day and it finally arrived. My 10 year old has asked for Ugg boots. Not "Ugg style", which she had last year, but Uggs. Normally, and so far for all other things, she's perfectly fine with off brands (like just a fleece jacket, not a North Face, etc). Her birthday is in two months and I'd like to buy her a pair, but the price is so crazy! Only because I know she will wear them almost every day am I doing this for her.

Does anyone have any smart tips for finding them for less than retail price? Do certain department stores put them on sale or have coupons where you can get a percent off? Has anyone shopped at an Ugg outlet (we have one about an hour away) or can you find them at Nordstrom Rack or Filene's Basement? I figure with 60 days advance notice I can try to do this more economically than just ordering off of zappos.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Check DSW shoes or Marshall's. I saw some there (hit or miss of course). My friend for some for about $20 less on Amazon. Thank goodness Bear Paws are the more popular brand here!

Always buy from a reputable source, as these are a big knockoff item.

3. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My kiddo and I both have a pair, and we have the slippers too. The boots are about 4 years old and the slippers mine are maybe 5 and hers are 2. They really do last and they are so comfortable and warm.

I've never found really good discounts, we don't have an outlet. Sales are kind of hit/miss. They don't change their basic styles much so they don't go on sale a lot. Good luck.

4. mamattorney

I'd feel better if her feet were done growing as I have heard they last and last. But even if I buy them a little big, these will only last her 2 winters and my other two kids are boys, so I can't pass them down.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I have seen them at Nordstrom Rack before, but it's just luck of the draw there, as I'm sure you know.

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You could always donate them to a needy child.

7. mamattorney

You think? She wears them (or her off brand ones anyway) barefoot most of the time. I usually consider anything but snow boots and nearly new dress shoes a little too "used" to donate since you can't really clean them. I guess I could. I'll have to take a look at them when she outgrows them.

8. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

My Mom paid $220 for a pair for DD for Xmas 2 or 3 years ago and they did not even last a month. Road salt ate holes in them. I spent another $40 on the right sprays, brushes, etc. as well as a ton of time trying to keep them clean, but it was all a waste of time and money. They are just slippers and not meant for harsh winter weather conditions. I was fortunate to find a bunch of Ugg-style knock-offs at Walmart for $9 on clearance a while back. I bought 4 pairs and the darn things are lasting well.

9. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

My dd blew through the toe of a pair of real uggs she received as a gift. The knock off pair she received as a replacement lasted long enough to hand down. The dry cleaners here does clean uggs and the local thrift shop is thrilled to receive them (if the toe isn't blown out). I have a friend who works retail who said it is very difficult to find real uggs at a deep discount.
    Good luck.

10. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

If you live where there's bad weather, we don't, there is a style that has a thicker sole that may do better.

11. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

Even if she wears a women's size normally, see if you can get by with buying girls shoes- it will save you $20 or $30. My daughter wears a size 8 in women's shoes and was able to get a size 6 in girls. I don't remember where we ordered from, but I know I used an authorized seller with no tax, free shipping, and I went through ebates and got cash back (every little bit helps!).

12. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I agree with this. In middle school my parents bought me uggs for Christmas in a kids size 5 and they were big so I wore them with thick socks. They still fit me now and I wear a women's size 7. They stretch and the lining really compresses so they last a lot longer with growing feet than you would think.

Also, you should get the waterproof spray. We used the nordstrom brand one and it must be 8 years later now and they still look new despite being worn through dirty salty snow a couple hundred times.

I wish it was socially acceptable to wear uggs in college :eek: They are just so comfortable!

13. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

I've purchased a few pairs of UGGS from www.6pm.com - a GREAT place to purchase shoes. It's Zappos overstock store. Very fast shipping and they have something for everyone. I just purchased a pair of $150 Uggs for $71 :)

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If you do invest in them spray them with something like this http://www.penguinbrands.com before they are worn. Our Ugg store sells it and I spray most shoes and sneakers with it - I do think it makes a difference.

I also think that Uggs used to be better made. Though it's a wonder that there are any sheep at all left in Australia after so many years of Ugg madness. :p

15. smcnair

smcnair Approved members

I live in Australia and we've bought a few pairs from this place for ourselves and as gifts over the past few years. Not sure what they charge in the US but we find this one of the best places price wise here, but I did check, and they do charge $45 for shipping to the states.

http://www.uggboots.com.au/