- advertisement -

U.S. FDA Approves the Dexcom G4? PLATINUM Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM)

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Ellen, Oct 8, 2012.

1. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

and we were told that the sensors and transmitter would be cheaper to compensate for the 6 month life of the new transmitter :(

2. karri

karri Approved members

Warranty is for 6 months. Remains to be seen how long these things will actually last.

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We have our Vibe pump and can get the Gen 4 supplies - according to both the Animas rep and Dexcom, the battery will last 6 months once activated...
    But it seems that you will get 2 transmitters with your new system so you're covered for a year anyway... :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I haven't heard about the two transmitters. That would be great

5. Dad of Daughters

Dad of Daughters Approved members

The rep I talked to last night when I ordered said they are not concerned at all about getting 1 year coverage insurance companies to adjust their coverage to replace the G4 transmitters if they go bad after 6 months. Not sure how they're so sure, but worth the chance for me either way since we're out of warranty on the 7+ and over our 1 year since it was purchased.

6. karri

karri Approved members

Atleast in Europe you get 1 transmitter..

7. karri

karri Approved members

Atleast the European version doesnt have this. I would assume its the same for US version...

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

I read in another thread "No". Crazy isn't it?

9. Don

Don Approved members

Disappointing that sensor cost is going up about $7 per. I think I read long ago that G4 sensors could be cheaper to produce due to automated manufacture vs hand-made. Could be totally wrong.

The transmitters raise the system cost significantly and I wish the battery were replaceable so you don't throw out the brains/computer chip every 6 months. I am sure there are advantages to never fussing with batteries but now that transmitter is powering 4x greater wireless range and contains the brains, it seems an unfortunate design choice.

10. karri

karri Approved members

I thought it was going to be G5 thats gonna integrate transmitter + "brains" into same unit.

11. Don

Don Approved members

Oh, you're right, Karri, so the price increase is basically for the greater wireless range. Of course price differences affect everyone differently depending on the quality of their insurance and size of their wallet.

12. selketine

selketine Approved members

The Navigator transmitter had a battery that you needed to change out every 2-4 weeks. You definitely got range with it - like 30 feet easily. I got 40-50 sometimes. The battery compartment was poorly made and changing the battery (or water leaking in) was a major problem with the Navigator.

13. JoeC

JoeC Approved members

is the clarke error grid results any better than previous versions or competitors?

is the clarke error grid results any better than previous versions or competitors?

14. Don

Don Approved members

"The battery compartment was poorly made and changing the battery (or water leaking in) was a major problem with the Navigator."

Sure seems like this is easily fixed with robust redesign of the receiver. I'd love to see the Nav re-enter the US market but I guess Abbott is still deciding whether or not they want to invest the resources.

15. peruvianpasohi

peruvianpasohi Approved members

Well, I got the new Nav fron Israel. The transmitter pin broke after 11 months, and not the plastic setpin has broken off. I am soo diasappointed, as a new transmitter is $880 USA, and of course insurance cannot cover since it is an out of country purchase. Hopefully the new Dex4G... will work for me. The dex 7+ never gives consistant results, and I Do know how to use it.

16. selketine

Did you see there was a newer version of the Navigator released during a big European diabetes conference recently? I haven't heard anything about it but someone here posted a link. No idea if it is any better made but I'd be curious to know how it changed.

17. peruvianpasohi

peruvianpasohi Approved members

could you post link?

18. Joa

Joa Approved members

The Navigator 2.0

It has a capsuled battery in the transmitter. Waranty is 1 year.
    It has a capsuled reloadable battery cell in the rreceiver. Warranty 2 years.
    The display is colored and shows now the date of the displayed curve.
    The sensor is the same as before but the transmitter device is all over smaller.
    There are 8 different sounds to choice for alarm signaling.
    The loudness of alarms is decreased.
    The receiver is a little bit smaller but more unhandsome.
    It will be launched in Europe in the next few weeks.
    It has no FDA approval yet.
    The price is increased by 25% for the starting kit. Sensors pricing is the same as before.

Over all the Navi 2.0 seems to be more an disimprovement than a step foreward.

At least I am (and not only me) hoping that our Navigators 1.5 oder 1.0 will last still a long time and that the sensors therefore will be available a long time too.

Regards
    Joa

19. selketine

Wow Joa - thanks for that info. I hadn't been able to find anything about it. If you run across any photos please post them. I might repost this in a separate thread if you haven't already!

20. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

I heard from the medtronic rep that the navigator will be discontinued also in Europe. Also she told me that the enlite sensor is 98% correct at catching lows and its MARD is 11% if you use the pump as it has the second generation algorythm. The CGM receiver has the first generation and that is why it can not be as accurate -I think it is about 78%. Dexcom 4 has MARD 13% which is not as good as the enlite. Any thoughts?