- advertisement -

U.S. FDA Approves the Dexcom G4? PLATINUM Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM)

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Ellen, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

Does this mean I can buy it sometime this year or next? Sounds like great news but I don't know what the lag time is between approval and when it is available for purchase.:cwds:

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

In the article it says they are taking orders immediately and shipping in the next few weeks. Not sure if that's accurate/possible.

We're ready for a replacement, definitely excited about this but can someone clarify if this is the new sensor that's been hyped or something else? I hadn't heard the word "platinum" associated with it before, what exactly is different?

4. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

5. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

So what is the difference between dexcom 4 and dexcom 4 platinum?

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm going to post this up above. About five people read this forum. I wish Jeff would move it up next to Parents, but he won't.

7. selketine

Wow - end of October shipping sounds amazing! I missed that in my quick read before taking William to school.

8. DadCares

DadCares Approved members

Has anyone seen data on how far the range is. I see the note that says "Longest transmission range."

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I have heard 30 feet.

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I think it's 30 ft, but I understand it's read even out in the yard from in the house. I told was told it's like a Portable MySentry.

Does anyone have any idea of the price tag both for the system and for the sensors? And will insurance replace the transmitter when it dies at 6 months? I guess we would have the Medtronic for back-up if they don't.

11. Rick

Rick Approved members

12. selketine

Are the sensors for the G4 different? In other words - will the same sensors work for the G4 and the 7+?

13. Don

Don Approved members

The new sensors and transmitter are completely different, therefore the SEVEN and G4 are not interchangeable.

14. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

15. Dan

Dan Approved members

Congrats...I am waiting on my Endo to fax over a new script for the G4. Hopefully today or tomorrow we will have our order in. I need a new script because the warranty is for only 6 months.

The DexCom Rep did tell me that they were not expecting such a quick approval so they were not ready with production of the new systems. Because of that the first shipment date they gave me was October 29th but depending on demand it could get pushed back a few weeks.

One can only wonder what this means for the approval of the Animas Vibe. We currently use the OmniPod, However, I may consider the Vibe due to the integration if it comes out soon.

16. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

On the conference call they also mentioned that Tandem is looking into the feasibility of using the G4 Platinum.

I jotted down a few notes:

$1100 + for starter kit

Will continue to support for now, but phasing out 7+ but no details of exact time frame

30 day money back guarantee on hardware - so some newly started on 7+ can return/exchange for G4 Platinum. Others can Upgrade for $399

Nearing completion of pediatric clinical trial -

Working on new algorithm

Exploring G5 connecting directly with smart phone.

Dexcom's long term goal is to help patients ELIMINATE fingersticks

Upgrade does NOT include any sensors

Q&A: Pediatric almost through the clinical trial - goal to get that in before the end of the year or by January. FDA is eagerly anticipating the application, even designing the protocol with them.

Q&A with respect to the Vibe, FDA will permit them to file - all hands on deck to file with J&J - goal is to file before end of year or January.

Q&A re Tandem - plan has been for integrating Gen 5, Tandem is now looking at an opportunity to incorporate Gen 4 Platinum - doing a technical feasibility

Q&A User can adjust volume.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  17. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

The approval of the Vibe is giving me pause as well, that's really what we want at this point but truth is he still has a few years left before he qualifies for a new pump, might as well upgrade Dex now and then hopefully by the time he qualifies for a new pump that switch can be made as well.

The great reviews on the Tslim are another factor...but again still have a few years left to qualify either way.

18. Dan

Dan Approved members

Ellen,

All great news. Thanks for sharing.

19. Dan

Dan Approved members

I am sure this is the start to many other integration possibilities. I am sure within the two years you have to wait there will be other options. For me if the T:Slim integrated it would be a no brainier. I would go with a Tubed Pump.

20. Dan

Dan Approved members

Same thing...the full name is DexCom G4 Platinum