- advertisement -

Type 2 Testing - How many times a day?

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 2' started by mikesmom58, Apr 19, 2010.

1. mikesmom58

mikesmom58 Approved members

I was just diagnosed last week with T2. My doctor only has me testing once a day. I don't know, this just doesn't seem like enough. He's not an endo, he's my primary. I take Metformin and I really want to know if it's doing it's job. Should I just test more often for the heck of it?:confused:

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I don't have type 2; I do work and talk with people who do (and if you want a bigger response from type 2s, try tudiabetes).

With metformin, the dose doesn't get changed based on the number- you're keeping a log maybe so you can change your diet, but mainly for the doctor to make a decision about in some weeks. Over that time period, he's not going to look at a whole big lot of numbers and understand them. There's only so many numbers you can look at at once.

There are reasons to check more though; you may be concerned that your blood sugar might go high enough that something should be done sooner than your next visit (like if you're 400); you may want to try catching the highs and lows by checking at different times of day or when you feel funny, which may mean checking multiple times per day; and you may want to see if there's a pattern for how different foods affect your blood sugar so that you can change your diet accordingly. If those are your reasons- go ahead!

One other reason your doctor may have is that medicare only pays for 1 strip per day for diabetics who are not on insulin, so that puts doctors more in the habit of only prescribing one strip per day for those who aren't on insulin.

3. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

When initially diagnosed with type 2, our practitioner recommends testing 4 times/day. Then decreased to twice a day, once a day and finally twice a week once "under control".

4. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Yes, you definitely need to test more than once a day. Doctors generally go by the medicare allotment of one test per day. They use the test to see if the medication is working. Since you are not on insulin, you can still test premeal and postmeal to see how certain foods affect your blood sugars and adjust based on that. Here is a good link to testing http://connect.diabetes.org/forums/Topic4259205-4069-1.aspx

Just for fun here is another link to a thread "You know you have diabetes when" http://connect.diabetes.org/forums/Topic4289540-4069-1.aspx

5. mikesmom58

mikesmom58 Approved members

Thanks for all your replies. Any input is much appreciated. I'm new to T2 altho Mike has been T1 almost 3 years.