- advertisement -

Type 2 on insulin ?

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 2' started by MrsBadshoe, Nov 16, 2006.

1. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

I have a friend that is Type 2 and on insulin. They have her on 70/30 I'm not familiar with this as my kids T1 are on humolog. Could someone explain if this is the best regiement or a common regiment for Type 2.

She is pregnant if that makes any difference with a high risk pregnacy due to her weight.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

70/30 is a mixture of 70% NPH to 30% Regular. It is an easy insulin to prescribe and take when two types are needed. It didn't work for my 3 year old son -- the proportions were wrong for him. Your friend may have problems or it may work.

3. tyler883

tyler883 Guest

Some people incorrectly feel that taking insulin is the "bad kind of Type 2". This is not the case, insulin is just another management tool for type 2 diabetes. It is often not the first choice because it is a bit more difficult to manage compared to taking a pill like metformin.

In the case of your friend, taking insulin is a very good choice for her pregnancy because other medications ( many that may help you friend) may be harmful to the little baby inside her.

Best wishes to all.

Tyler

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2007
  4. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

My father is type 2 for about 15 years and is taking 70/30 consistantly for his diabetes. He takes it like twice a day only. Not with every meal and doesn't count carbs, he basically does corrections as needed. But it seems to work for him. He is in his 70's so this is the simplest way for an old dog not to learn to carb count. ;)

5. jstump7697

jstump7697 Approved members

I am Jeremy and i am 35 and have type 2 diabetes. I have been on since 2001 when my sugars were out of control and my blood sugar was at 400. Since then i have went through several different pills and regimans, and finally with Lanus Insulin and Avandia my blood sugars are in between 100 and 145 or so. After getting it under control i started to notice my feet were burning and felt like someone was sticking me with needles. I found out through nerve and muscle tests i have Peripheral Neuropathy now too. So now i am on Gabapentin. All of these medicines have side effects of weight gain which is bad so it is extra hard for me to try and excersize, eat better, etc...

6. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Hi, I have had type 2 for over 13 yrs. 70/30 is a common treatment for type 2s on insulin, but I am not convinced it is the best. A lot of type 2 patients do not see an endo and the PCPs don't always keep up the best on different insulin treatments. When it was time for me to go on insulin, I told my dr what insulins I wanted to use. He accepted my choices as I have a daugter who is type 1. I went directly to Lantus and Novolog, but then about a year ago someone donated a used pump for me to use, so now only use Novolog in the pump. I still take metformin as it helps my body to use the insulin I am taking.

7. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Insulin is often used in type 2s during pregnancy even if it's not needed the rest of the time as tighter control is considered more important and insulin is considered safer than pills. I believe N and R (and therefore mixes of it) are category B for pregnancy, with the newer ones being category C, so some doctors feel it's safer to stick with the "oldies."

70/30 doesn't work well for many type 1s because NPH can be unpredictable by itself, R is too slow acting (though they have mixes with Humalog or Novolog instead of R now, too), and because the proportion is wrong. If done correctly, it also means you need to have the set schedule associated with NPH.

However, type 2s often use insulin just to add to what their own pancreas makes. Therefore, they just need to help their pancreas and their own pancreas buffers for the imperfections of the injected insulin. So sometimes they do well with it.

Basically, the important part is, "Is it working?"