- advertisement -

Type 1 Son Headed for Japan on School Trip

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by SusanA, Mar 12, 2014.

1. SusanA

SusanA New Member

Hi everybody! My son, now 15, was diagnosed at age 12, and he uses a Minimed pump. He takes care of all aspects of his diabetes management himself, but he has never had to deal with it away from me, especially not in a foreign country.

He will be in Japan for 9 days next month with his history teacher. He cannot read food labels there, and it will be prohibitively expensive to Google for information on his iPhone, so I want to send him with a list of typical Japanese foods and their carbohydrate content.

Does anyone know where I can best gather this information? I am SO grateful for your help.

Susan

2. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

I would get him a Calorie King book - there are different sections for all types of foods. It may not have exactly what he's eating, but he'll be able to find something pretty close and guesstimate from there. It's pretty small and portable.
    Hope he has a good time and you don't worry too much!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Welcome to the site. You have gotten good advice above. Just wanted to add that you may also want to think about how things will be handled at night. I'm guessing since the pump has a built in CGM that he wakes up if it alarms. I was just thinking that if he is unsure about what he is eating during the day, it could cause issues at night.

Is he going with a group of kids? If so that might give you a little comfort that if something happened at night they could possibly be in the room to help.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  5. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

I lived in Japan for awhile, and did not know how to read Japanese either. Honestly, if he's traveling on a school trip, being able to read labels isn't going to matter much anyway. They'll mostly be eating restaurant foods anyway and not much of anything with labels. He'll have to estimate things like he would in a restaurant at home, but for the most part it's easier. They have less hidden ingredients in their foods than we do, so the rice will be obvious, noodles will be obvious and meat and vegetables won't be high carb. Snackfoods from convenience stores will either be Japanese snacks (squid jerky!) or American things. The American stuff will be recognizable as stuff he's familiar with if he usually does his own boluses so the labels don't really matter. He'll probably want to try the Doritos, they're all flavors we don't have over here.

6. SusanA

SusanA New Member

Hey, thanks so much, you guys. This is so helpful.

Yes, he will be sleeping with another kid at night, but he's also always been able to wake up and take care of himself when he gets low, so I'm not super worried about that.

Sarah, what did you mean by an emergency medical care plan? I have sent his teacher detailed information about his diabetes care, and I have printed out and laminated cards that say, in Japanese, "I have diabetes," "I need something sugary," "I need insulin" and "I need a doctor." What else should I do?

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Ok, ask yourself - suppose he develops a stomach bug and is throwing up and getting dehydrated - maybe it's a virus, maybe it's something he ate - who's in charge? Who knows when vomiting and dehydration are serious with Type 1? Who makes the call? What Dr or hospital? Insurance? etc. You know, a medical emergency. Thankfully it's unlikely, but since he is just 15 and doing all his own care it's worth, I think, having some sort of a plan sketched out.

8. SusanA

SusanA New Member

OK, thank you so much! Very important.

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

Any Japanese restaurants nearby? Take him there, and practice WAG'ing and see how it works out.