- advertisement -

Type 1 no longer needs inslin?so they say

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Madisonsmom, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Madisonsmom

Madisonsmom Approved members

A girl my daughter has attended camp with in the past is no longer on inslin. She spent about a week in the hospital with severe lows. So they pulled her off all inslin and she has normal blood sugars again.

Now this child lost about 70 pounds so I am thinking she was a Type 2 and because of the weight loss is no longer diabetic.

What do yall think? My poor daughter who has had some bad weeks here lately was so thrilled at the thought her friend was "cured"

And to note the child had to have been dxd to attend camp as it is a diabetes camp.

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I guess I'd probably think that if a CHILD could lose 70lbs than they must have been really overweight....

so I think you're probably right - they probably had type 2 and now no longer need insulin.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

70lb weight loss in a child is HUGE.

When was the child DX'd, at a younge age?

I would ventutre to guess type 2 diabetes, or if DX at a younge age Monogentic diabetes, or even Mody.

Diabetes is YDMV, with the weight loss she may have even entered another honeymoon???

I don't know???

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

Could be a strong honeymoon too..

5. allisa

allisa Approved members

70 pounds is a LOT of weight for a child...my son doesn't even weigh 80 pounds...so....yes...I'd guess type 2.....

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Or it might be this:

Type 1B Or Idiopathic Diabetes

Type 1 B diabetes is also referred to as idiopathic diabetes, or diabetes of unknown origin. This form of type 1 diabetes is not autoimmune in nature, and tests for islet cell antibodies will come up negative. People with type 1 B have an insulin deficiency and can experience ketoacidosis (a high blood sugar emergency), but their need for insulin injections typically waxes and wanes over time. Patients of African, Hispanic, or Asian descent are more likely to develop type 1 B diabetes."

"The overall approach to disease management is the same, even though type 1 B individuals may have some periods of insulin independence".

Info taken from the following site:

http://www.diabetestypes.org/type-1-diabetes/type-1-B-or-idiopathic-diabetes.htm

7. Toni

Toni Banned

Honeymoon? Type 2 misdiagnosed as Type 1? Or one of the other varieties... MODY? I don't know.

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

if she's truely type 1, the need for insulin will come back.. my guess is if she was able to lose 70lbs, then it was t2 all along.. Like the others have said, 70lbs for a child is HUGE!

9. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

The typical MODY profile is that a person present as TYPE 2 or similar (minus insulin resistance), are very insulin sensitive, and generally MODY patients are average or smaller in weight which makes the Dx confusing. So I would not say MODY or at least Atyepical MODY but YDMV and there are strains of MODY not yet identified.
    Sounds more like type 2.

10. Madisonsmom

The only thing I know is that she has attended this camp for the past three summers and is at least 15 because she has her driving permit.

So not a young child and did weigh a lot more then need be for her size and age.

That being said just wish people would be more careful with what they put out there about any form of diabetes. Not anyone on this board.

Her parents are upset because people have told them how lucky they are that she was Type 2 and that its gone now and she just needs to keep up a health lifestyle.

Now I wish someone would tell me Madison was Type 2 and all this was over for her.

The only thing I know for sure is that this child spent a long time in the childrens hospital and is off all inslin. Her needs had been going down alot as she was losing the weight. This is why I assume its Type 2. I do admit I know nothing about any other forms but Type 1 and Type 2.

11. Toni

Toni Banned

Maybe she was diagnosed Type 1 as a baby in the first year of life and is lucky to have monogenic diabetes? Not a possibility for DN so no use in wondering......

12. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I think I agree with Becky Steven's mom. I think she has some other form of diabetes and more tests would have to be run to determine which type. She could have MODY or Type 2, or Type 1B in which insulin needs can go up and down.
    As for more information, Type 2 does not go away. Even with weight loss. Yes, it can appear to go away, but it does not. I have met too many people with type 2 who are told they don't have diabetes anymore only to have a rude awakening.
    I will not say she what type she has but I would say, she still has diabetes. She still will have to take care of her diabetes.

13. Skyefire

Skyefire Approved members

I agree, my mom was dx'd Type 1 when she was 15, was on insulin for 7 months then went off it for a Year because she was having to many lows. but also keep in mind that it could just be the body getting use to the weight loss as well. I huge weight loss like that, changes how your body is use to working, body temp it thrown off, etc. I lots 140lbs when I was 18, it really changes how your organs and body does everything for the first couple months or longer.

14. lynn

lynn Approved members

Even if she was misdiagnosed with type1 instead of type2 she STILL would have type2, wouldn't she? I hope her parents haven't thrown away the strips and meter because I would guess that she will need to keep track of her blood sugar for the rest of her life.

15. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

True, but with that amount of weight loss it's entirely possible that the symptoms have reversed... I've heard it happening with some adult T2's.

So the disease isn't gone, but she may be not be having BG issues at this time, due to the weight loss.

Personally, I would suspect there is more going on..

16. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I met somebody who was dx'd t1 at 12, re-dx'd as t2 at 19, and went from insulin to oral meds.
    I've never even heard of somebody who was on insulin for years as a kid and then didn't need even oral medications.

But you know, it's a big world with a lot of wonderful things. Who knows?

17. Madisonsmom

I talked to her parents this morning they are still thinking she is done with D.

Just goes to show how strange D really is I think.

Did tell them at least keep all her stuff never know what tomorrow will bring in this crazy life of Diabetes.

18. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

But a person diagnosed with monogenic diabetes replaces insulin with pills, so they are still diabetic, they are just able to treat it another way. If she doesn't take any kind of medication, then she isn't Type 1 or monogenic neonatal

19. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Yes, but she could be type 1b in which insulin needs come and go. The same can happen with MODY and there are different forms of MODY.

20. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

But we are talking about conditions that are extremely rare. I would guess, as most would surmise, that she was diagnosed Type 1, because that is what they diagnose most children. They don't typically run any antibody or other tests to really "confirm" - a high BG number is enough to confirm. Now that she has lost weight, her body is probably showing that it really was Type 2, as its able to process its own insulin better since losing weight. I would think anyone in that position should get tests to confirm insulin production since clearly she is still producing insulin