advertisement

Type 1 Diabetic Hospital Experience

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by Type 1 Hotties, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Type 1 Hotties

Type 1 Hotties New Member

Our daughter a Type 1 diabetic patient was admitted to a hospital for observation. After 2 weeks that included no insulin to treat high blood sugar level for almost 12 hours and not administering antibiotics for an infection for about a week, patient was discharged on palliative care.

Flash forward 11 months...patient is admitted for the same infection, and was discharged 2 weeks later not only with the infection, but with blood clots from the wrists to shoulders of both arms.

She was asked to leave hospital and they wanted to transfer her to another hospital.

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Yeah, so I had surgery on Tuesday... and no one on staff actually checked my BG or even looked at my meter to confirm that I had tested myself. I could have just lied abut my #'s for all they cared.

Made me very glad for my dexcom so I could see what went on while I was under, and that was was only day surgery and I was able to care for myself, because they certainly weren't going to. They even let me have an asthma attack while I was in recovery telling them I couldn't breath and my lungs felt very tight (they just kept telling me to "breathe deeper" as if I wasn't already trying), and it took almost an hour of pleading with them to go get my husband who had my rescue inhaler. I'm still somewhat appalled that RT wasn't called to give me a breathing treatment (and I did request one, they told me they couldn't call RT!) but they all kind of acted like I was making it up or something. I'm not on any long-term medicines for my asthma at this point in my life so I think it was just completely overlooked in my chart.