- advertisement -

Type 1 diabetes vaccine a reality in the coming 10 years with research by UK scientists

Discussion in 'Research' started by Parody, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Parody

Parody Approved members

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

This is a perfect example of why I get irritated when people post threads like this. The title of the article says a Type 1 diabetes vaccine will be a reality in 10 years. The article itself says the research COULD produce a vaccine in 10 years. Then it says the TRIAL for a prototype vaccine IS a reality. Then it says that a professor "will come up with a UK-wide network to enable CURE for type 1 diabetes immune-therapy".
    Then there is this: " it has the potential to transform the lives of thousands of people suffering from Type 1 diabetes and will lead to proper CURE. This will bring about much-needed relief from regular dialysis and painful insulin injections".

So is this a vaccine that will prevent someone from getting Type 1 diabetes or is it a cure for people who already have Type 1 diabetes?

And I would like to know how they are so certain that it WILL be a reality in 10 years? not 5? not 15?

NOTE: before people say that if I don't like the thread I shouldn't read it, the way I use this forum is that I usually click on the "What's New" link and look at all the latest threads. If I see one that is interesting I click on it. If I wish to help someone, or share my own experiences or simply wish to give an opinion, then I do.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I'm with you. I get so frustrated when I see "promised timelines". I remember hearing about 5 years from Mary Tyler Moore when I was a child and didn't know anyone with diabetes. I heard 5 years when Emma was diagnosed. I no longer have hope of 5 years. I'm skeptical of most research because even IF they find something, there are so many things out of their control, especially FDA approval, which will drive exactly how long something will take to get to market. Its not a SHORT process. I feel the same about improved therapies. I have more hope in them because they make our lives better sooner, but the same thing with the approval. So many things sit forever in approval that I know something will be coming when I'm told its available to purchase, not before.

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

The bolding is mine.

This sounds so unscientific and downright hokey to me. "Much-needed relief from regular dialysis"? I'm not aware of dialysis being a "regular" occurrence for those with diabetes, with the exception of those with advanced complications from years of poor care who are suffering from ESRD (end-stage renal disease). And "painful insulin injections"? Admittedly, poking oneself with a very small gauge insulin syringe doesn't exactly feel good, but "painful" is a little overdramatic for my tastes.

Real scientific articles just don't sound like this.

In my opinion, The Standard Daily and other such publications are the supermarket check-out stand tabloid versions of scientific research reporting. Yeah, a vaccine will cure our children's Type 1 diabetes in 10 years. And Marilyn Monroe and Elvis are being kept alive by aliens on a hidden planet in a distant solar system... There are photos to prove it!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015