- advertisement -

Type 1 Diabetes.... The real diabetes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poodle, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Poodle

Poodle Approved members

I saw this t-shirt and I. Loved. It. I mean it. I feel like it speaks the truth! Anyone else like the saying?

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Oh gosh...those with type 2 feel it's just a "real". Compassion goes a long way in understanding the impact that any type of disease has on those who have it.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

No, not a fan of that slogan. Yes, I understand the frustration with all the blundering confusion between Type 1 and 2, but I'm unwilling to demean those living with Type 2 just to claim some imaginary high ground.

4. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

My co-workers T2 mother-in-law is in the hospital after having her second leg amputation. That seems pretty "real" to me. :(

5. Poodle

Poodle Approved members

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Why are we in competition for the name Diabetes? Both are real diseases with huge consequences for not treating correctly.

While Type 1 and 2 have different causes and different treatments, this statement does not help clarify anything and is a mean spirited part of the public discourse on Diabetes.

7. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I don't believe they don't all take care of themselves. I'm Type 1, take care of myself, and am still going blind. With Type 1 or 2, you can do everything right and STILL have complications, my genetics seem to dictate it. Also some do everything wrong with no complications. It's a crap shoot!

8. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Maybe she had awful care - lots of people in this country get poor care for their diabetes.

9. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Sometimes, people don't know they are T2 for a very long time (especially those who don't have/can't afford health care to have their blood tested regularly). The symptoms aren't as dramatic as the T1 onset and by the time they actually find out, they are in a world of trouble with the many years of high bgs washing through their system. It seems the need for education about T1 and T2 works both ways!;)

10. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

That's a pretty harsh and judgmental statement about someone you don't know.

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

All diabetes are real. The respect and understanding we expect towards us or our kids with Type 1 should also be shown towards those with any other type of diabetes.

12. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

Yes, this...

Christine

13. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Perfectly said.

14. Pavlos

Pavlos Approved members

Autoimmune diabetes vs non-autoimmune diabetes is probably the most factual way I refer to it, having a daughter with the former and a mother with the latter.

Before either one were diagnosed I had no idea what the differences / nuances were, and probably did make ignorant and potentially offensive comments to diabetics of both varieties. If we know the difference, the least we can do is avoid such pitfalls!

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Perfectly said!

16. pancake111

pancake111 Approved members

Omg I would totally wear that, and I love the slogan

17. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

Hi Connie, I want to give you hug. So sorry to hear about your sight.

I understand where the OP is coming from though. I know my teen Dd and her siblings would wear it in a flash. But they are easily worked up about this issue. Poor Em gets told far to frequently that she has diabetes because of her poor eating habits..:eek:. Sorry, but I was a breast feeding, grind your own grain kind of mama, and now I wish i had let he eat all the sweats she had wanted, cuz now it isn't so easy anymore:rolleyes:.
    Or well meaning parents of friends give her a dinner with NO carbs. She gets so tired of explaining why she needs carbs and yes her mom knows she is eating that.

18. wilf

wilf Approved members

I disagree with the thinking behind the header on this thread. Do we need to be diminishing the seriousness of Type 2 in order to build ourselves up?