- advertisement -

Type 1 diabetes or not?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by seb369, Jul 23, 2008.

1. seb369

seb369 Approved members

Ok I just went to the doctor today and they ordered an A1C to check my blood sugar because I have the signs of diabetes. I am very overweight so it might be type 2 but he says there is a chance it could be type 1. So can you be overweight and have type 1 diabetes? Because I have signs of both types of diabetes and want to know which one it is!!!

*please reply*

2. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

yes you can be overweight and be type 1. what type of tests did they do, do you know? i think to know if you are type 1 they check for antibodies and probably c-peptide! i hope that you are ok though and that it is NOT diabetes!

3. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

It can go either way

You can be overweight and have type 1. And vice versa with type 2 you can be in range for your weight. The only way of really knowing if you show both of the diabetes sypmtoms is running a c-peptide and antibody test, such as Anti-GAD65 or Islet Cell Antibodies.

Also I wouldn't allow the doctor to make a diagnosis based off of a A1C test. But if the test does come back with weird results usually higher than 6% then ask for a fasting glucose tolerance test.

:cwds:

4. seb369

seb369 Approved members

They did a Hemoglobin A1C and a Chem 14. The hemoglobin A1C is to see what my blood sugar was for the last 3 months. And the Chem 14 was to see if my kidneys were functioning properly.

5. kierbabi09

why are they cheking for diabetes? what are your signs/symptoms?

6. seb369

seb369 Approved members

Ok, I have a thing called Acanthosis Nigricans which is a darkening of the skin also a sign of diabetes. I drink water all the time and crave it all the time which is a sign of diabetes. And I am lethargic/tired all the time even if I get a lot of sleep which is another sign of diabetes. I also have mood swings, irritability, depression, and dry skin which are all signs of diabetes.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  7. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

With Acanthosis Nigricans it makes it more of a chance that it is type 2 because that is a sign of insulin resistance. But there is a slight chance that it maybe type 1.

8. seb369

seb369 Approved members

I read on dlife.com that it is a sign of type 1 too.

9. kierbabi09

i'm pretty sure, though not 100%, that that is a sign of just type 2...i could be wrong, though i don't think that iam...

10. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

Kier's right it's a T-2 thing but that doesn't mean anything. I don't mean to sound rude but we can't really tell you what type you may or may not be in till you get your test results back.

11. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Maybe its...MODY??? IDK but Jess and Kier would know.

12. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

Kids with MODY are genneral not over weight though but IT is a small possiblity. However the tests for that are 500-600 bucks a pop and in less you only test for one MODY gene there are 6 of these tests.
    However t-2 is more likely. T-1 if I understand would be incredabley noticable and move fast?

13. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Well from what I can trace, I had D about 6-7 months before I was dx'd. I got a really weird virus June '06, and from then on the symptoms progressed. They tested me for several things when they tested diabetes, actually D was just an afterthought, Patty was like "test her for thyroid, and anemia (n then some other stuff) oh...and Bobbi go ahead and take an a1c!" So yeah. But I really didn't LOSE much weight. I lost probably 5-8 lbs in all b/c I was already pretty skinny to begin with, always have been, so basically I just maintained it. But my eyes started sinking in and stuff...pretty gross, but I ate like a cow, horse, pig, whatever animal that eats a lot. SO you might just be maintaining instead of gaining, or losing gradually. You may not notice it b/c you see yourself every day. And who knows? Maybe weight loss is just one symptom you don't have. I mean it's like one of the most common, but hey everone's different! Cause all of us react to lows and stuff differently, and highs too. Anyway sorry I rambled :D But let us know your results when you get them...

14. happy:)

happy:) Approved members

you can be over wieght and have juvinal diabets but you don't have to be over wait. juvinal diabetes is bascilly where the pancreas dies and can't produse inculin. im not very educated in type 2 so i afraid if the info i know is wrong or not. Gook Luck!!!!:):cwds:

15. Blairbear

Blairbear Approved members

I know my brother gets mean drinks lots of water and lots of urination and tiered and stuff so I hope you start to feel better let us know what it is OK:)