- advertisement -

Type 1 dating another diabetic

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by Chrystaljenna, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Chrystaljenna

Chrystaljenna New Member

I'm dating a guy and we are both type 1 diabetics. I have been diagnosed for 22 years and he has been diagnosed for 15 years. Im 26 and we have been talking about our future and I am worried about pregnancy and children. Does anyone know the statistic that our children will get diabetes if we decide to conceive. I am also Celiac as well. I can not find any information, I know the chances for women and men on their own, but can not find out the statistics if both parents have diabetes.
    Thank you

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I've seen varying stats from 20 to 50 percent and know of a few such couples. Have you read When You're a Parent with Diabetes: A Real Life Guide to Staying Healthy While Raising a Family by Kathryn Gregorio Palmer?

I tried looking for studies and this is what I found.

In this study, of 58 children with both parents dx with diabetes before age 18 in Finland, 13 were themselves diagnosed in the study period. Since many of the children were still young at that point, 13/58 should be seen as a minimum out of that group that would be diagnosed with t1; and I think I saw a later reference that suggested a fourteenth. In any case, 13/58 is 24%.
    http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/55/5/1517.long

In this German study, children with parents and/or siblings with diabetes were followed from birth and tested for antibodies and diabetes. 28 babies had two parents with type 1 dx before age 35. 6 had multiple diabetes antibodies by age 5, and 3 had diabetes by age 5. That's more than 10% dx before age 5.
    http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/11/2695.long#T1

3. Joe M

Joe M Approved members

Live life

Chrystaljenna,

You do have a valid concern but in my opinion, don't worry about it. Live life, have children and enjoy the world. Nobody knows what tomorrow will bring in ones health. Who knows, it could be your children who cure diabetes to rid their parents of it.

Joe