- advertisement -

Type 1 and celiac?

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by Arleigh9003, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Arleigh9003

Arleigh9003 Approved members

Oops! I posted in type 2 forum ... Wondering why I wasn't getting responses ! I'll try this again lol

I know the chances are slim of getting celiac, but so were getting t1 and here we are.
    I'd like to know if there are warning signs you yourself or child experienced that led to the celiac diagnoses, things to look for..
    Thanks

Mom to Julien
    17 m old pumping with animas ping
    Dx Sept 2012 (14 m old)

2. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

This was the T1 forum - http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=72435

There are no symptoms that specifically indicate Celiac at a young age (adults who have had untreated celiac for many years may develop certain long-term symptoms that are recognizable as celiac). Celiac is diagnosed by a simple blood test, and once diagnosed, you can confirm that damage is underway if you want to by getting a biopsy before committing to a gluten free diet, however if the blood test is positive than you have celiac whether or not damage is yet evident.

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

The OP did post this on the type 1 form, but I would hardly say the chances of developing celiac in a person with type 1 are hardly slim.

I do not want to be negative, just honest.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Statistics I've read indicate a 10% lifetime risk for T1s.

Many (most?) endos test yearly for celiac in T1 kids.

5. Em's mom

Em's mom Approved members