- advertisement -

Type 1.5 ??? What are they referring to?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by timnshann, Aug 11, 2009.

1. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

So I was on the new solo4you.com website looking and when you fill out the request for more information and a demo they have you choose the type of diabetes...

The choices are:
    Type 1
    Type 1.5
    Type 2

What on earth is Type 1.5? I have never heard of it has anyone else?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  2. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

ok, I think I answered my own post:

http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_types/diabetes_type_15.php
    http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/Articles/Diabetes-Definitions/type_15_diabetes/

"The medical professionals who study and treat diabetes noticed, however, that among the people who do not require insulin at diagnosis (most of whom were assumed to have Type 2 diabetes), a significant number showed autoantibodies, especially antibodies against islet cells and GAD. In other words, these people could be treated initially with diet therapy and oral medicines like people with Type 2 diabetes, but they also had an ongoing autoimmune process like people with Type 1 diabetes. The term “latent autoimmune diabetes of adults” (LADA) was originally applied to this subset of people with diabetes. It has also been dubbed “slow-progressing Type 1 diabetes,” and, in the late 1990’s, some researchers coined the term “Type 1.5 diabetes,” because it had features of both the major types."--http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/Articles/Diabetes-Definitions/type_15_diabetes/

Interesting, I had never heard of slow onset type 1 in adults referred to as Type 1.5 before.

I learn a new thing everyday :)

3. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

To add to the confusion there are also some T1's with a large amount of insulin resistance that end up labeled as 1.5's as well.

There seems to be a LOT of misuse of this term within the medical community... I dont think there are any diabetics more confused about their conditions than some of the 1.5's I've run across on other forums. Many of them just don't seem to "get" that for the most part the end result is very much the same as T1, it just takes longer to get there. A lot of them seem to want to think they're really something else? Like they're not going to end up insulin dependent at some point.... it's rather odd.

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

From what I understand, it's basicly type 1 that has a very good and long honeymoon. Lasting up to around 3 years. It acts a lot like type 2 during this time, but eventually turns into full blown type 1. I hope that helps:cwds:

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I thought it was a T1 with insulin resistance, and that would take type 2 oral meds like mediform?

6. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I have never heard of insulin resistance being called type 1.5. Not that it isn't, I just havn't heard that:confused:

7. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

I am pretty sure I read that its generally something seen in adults and that a pretty large percentage of adults diagnosed with type 2 could actually be type 1 which is why they are so hard to manage and get their blood sugar under control.

8. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

My endo has told me that type 1.5 is has antibodies for type 1 but also insulin resistance and other characteristics for type 2.

Some people also confuse/intermingle the term with the term LADA (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adults) which is a very slow onset of type 1 in adults that typically results in a long honeymoon. I am a LADA, not a type 1.5. I am very sensitive to insulin and have absolutely no characteristics of type 2. I have ALL of the antibodies for type 1.

Here is a good description -- but you will even find reputable internet sites that don't know the difference, it's very confusing. http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/articles/diabetes-definitions/type_15_diabetes/1/

9. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I've heard this called double diabetes.

10. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

I think this is what my BIL is supposed to have. Unfortunately, he tried to treat it like type 2 for far, far too long. Even now that he is full-blown insulin-dependent, he still does humalog and NPH, doesn't really carb count, etc.

It's tough to see because he has lost part of a foot, and is expected to lose the rest of that leg up to the knee eventually. He has major vision issues, has had a mild stroke, and I could go on. My SIL, his wife, is learning more about managing D from us now that Reese is type-1 and on a pump.

So, my impression is that some of these type 1.5 folks are really at great risk because the need for aggressive type-1 style management may not be recognized very timely, or addressed properly.

11. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Our neighbor has this as well. They referred to it as type 1.5, but are now calling it neonatal as she was born with it.
    She is 13 now and starting on a pump. Her D is very different though as she really never has lows and doesn't go too high. She's on a ton of insulin too. The endo thinks she may outgrow it.

Makes for some very interesting conversations over the fence for her mom and I;)

12. lilituc

lilituc Approved members

The problem is that "Type 1.5" get applied to many different types of diabetes and ends up confusing a lot of people. I've heard LADA, MODY, and double diabetes all referred to as "Type 1.5." But all of those are completely different types of diabetes. I guess there just aren't enough terms to go around?

This is why I prefer not to use the "Type 1.5" label and just say "Type 1."

13. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

Type 1.5 is Type 1 with insulin resistance. I have this. I just don't add the 1.5 b/c it confuses people.
    My basal in my pump is 99u a day and that does not include all the bolus's for food and such.

14. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

I met a guy the other day that said he was Type 7 - What???? I've never heard of that. Sounded to me like he was just hypoglycemic. Anyone else ever heard of Type 7 ?

15. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

I want to say that Type 7 is MODY...I may be wrong though.

16. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members