- advertisement -

Two years.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Teacups, May 27, 2012.

1. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

Yup, passing the two year mark this weekend. The last week of 5th grade, ds (then 11) felt tired and was peeing a lot. We took him to Urgent Care on our way to do some family bike riding over Memorial Day Weekend. Instead of a family outing, we were sent to the hospital.

The first days were full of tears and fears. At home, ds hated to play outside, because that meant extra testing. Diabetes seemed insurmountable.

Weeks and months went by... my tears diminished. We took our family bike ride over Labor Day. We learned to treat highs and lows and move on. Learn from a mistake, if one was made, but also learned not to agonize over every number out of range.

One year mark. Diabetes was part of our lives, but it was not our life. Never thought that day would come!

16 months. Started the Omnipod. A learning curve, but not as steep as the first one! Mealtimes became smoother. Injections were replaced by pushing a button. Diabetes lives with us, but it does not consume us.

Ds plays oboe, goes on band outings, studies, plays (yes, outside!) and is now a teenager. He had a great A1C and his CDE gave him lots of encouragement because he stays on top of his care.

I am so proud of this young man, my son. I thank God for him, for carrying us through the difficult times in this journey, and for the advances in science and medicine that help make this disease more bearable.

Two years.

2. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

Thank you! You just made me feel better :)

3. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

what a wonderful way to see it! Thanks for sharing and here's to many more happy, healthy years to come for your wonderful son. My daughter just marked 8 years in February!

4. AJMom

AJMom Approved members

Thank you for sharing! Your story provides us hope! Good to hear your family is moving along so well, and diabetes isn't the driver!

5. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

Wonderful!!!! God bless you and your son!!!!

6. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

That was beautiful, I passed two years last feb, feels like I was dx yesterday but i've been dealing with d forever=)

7. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

((((((Lisa))))))

8. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

Wow... 8 years. Hard to imagine! My ds will be 19 (gasp!) by the time we reach that. :)

9. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

Thanks for the encouragement... Each CWD has their own precious story, I'm glad I took a few minutes to briefly share my son's. :)