- advertisement -

Two extended boluses with T-Slim?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lakeman, May 2, 2016.

1. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

We use the T-Slim and like the extended bolus feature. However, sometimes (not often) during the hours after a first meal my kid will want to eat a second meal and the second meal will also best be dosed with a second extended bolus. The pump does not allow a second extended bolus.

Is there a way to cancel the first and create a second one that will take into account what was supposed to happen with the first?

For example, suppose my kid eats some pizza and doses for it with an extended bolus then three hours later wants a second serving of leftover pizza. How would one best dose for the second serving?

2. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

I have been wondering this, too.

3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

There's no way to do it automatically, but you could fudge it. If you eat, say, 20g and extend 50% (10g) for 3 hours, and then want to eat another 20g thing, cancel the extended bolus and bolus for 30g and extend 20g for the same period. You could knock off a carb or two to account for the smidge of extended that's already been delivered, but since you use this feature mostly for "difficult" foods that will need corrections later no matter what you do, this would probably be just fine.

4. mikegl31

mikegl31 Approved members

Sometimes I increase the basal rate for a few hours in situations like this. It is a bit of a guess, but so is 95% of everything else we do.

5. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I would go about this one of two ways, Depending on how much of the first bolus there is left, as well as what his bg is at the time. If it's near finished or he's on the higher end, I'd just do a straight bolus for the rest of the first one and extend the second one, or if there's still a lot left or he's on he low side, I'd try to "fudge" as others have suggested--try to include what's left of the first one into the second one. Either way you're probably going to come out ok. Unless it's pizza. Lol

6. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Thanks everyone. Good ideas.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Ts lim does not tell you when you cancel a combo what was delivered and what hasn't been? Or maybe history.

8. Mish

Mish Approved members

I don't think any of the pumps allow a double dual (or square). We do a lot of mentally fixing it for those situations . He'll just review what was left from the first and then add that to the 2nd. More of less bypassing the whole bolus wizard.

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We sometimes will do a temp basal for the middle meal if an extended bolus is running from breakfast. Other times, we'll cancel it and add it into the next like Mish said or just give the remainder upfront as a bolus. We calculate fat-protein dose as we do carbs and set that portion as extended.