- advertisement -

Tslim training

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by RomeoEcho, Nov 20, 2013.

1. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

After waiting for the Animas Vibe for the past two years, I finally changed my mind and bought a tslim yesterday. They wanted to schedule "training." I've been pumping for ten years with multiple pumps and 2 cgms and have never had training by a pump rep. Is it worth it? If you've already been pumping, has anyone learned anything useful from a pump training or is it mostly painful review?

2. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We've done pump training three times now and I've felt it was worth it each time, just to know that we were doing things right. The first time was full-blown training - terminology, expectations, everything. I think we were there several hours. The other two times was pump-specific. We learned how to use the features, filled the pump, did a site, etc. In and out in less than an hour. Everyone's different, but for us it was reassuring. Plus, we got lots of freebies, which I love :D Three clips in fun colors and a box of tubing in a different length. That alone made it worth it for us!

3. Mish

Mish Approved members

I've never done any pump training after our very first time.

As long as you can figure out setting up your pump, (which..after 10 years should be no issue) it seems like a total waste of time. I demo'd a t-slim last week and filled a reservoir and did set up. It was different than minimed, but certainly nothing I felt like we would have needed training to accomplish.

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I doubt you need the training for the sake of actually operating the t:slim, but I would still schedule it just so that you can meet your area rep and have a real live person you could contact if problems arise.

I've had several exchanges with our rep, which did include free swag :), but we've also had exchanges regarding other things too.

Then again, I'm that type of person. I like having an insurance agent, a travel agent and an individual banker to call rather than just an 800 number; that type of thing. When you are a name to someone, rather than a number, I find that things run more smoothly all around.

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

"They" being tandem or your endo? Our endo requires it, we fought it and lost, so we went into the training with all the settings already done and ready to hook up~it was kind of funny.

The main thing worth it is to learn some tricks, but that really only helps if the tslim rep is at the training, our endo office doesn't know any more than he does at this point. Tslim rep was at his and it was worth it, he learned some little tips and got some free samples!

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Ditto this, and I really *like* our rep, she's just a nice person to have on our side.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Nah, we didn't do the training. You won't need it.

8. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

Hmm, I hadn't thought about meeting the local rep. I do think that might be worth it as I've found them useful in the past and I guess I shouldn't order a clip until after if they give them out that readily. My endo office does not require pump training after your first time, which is good, since my insurance only covers it as a once per lifetime. In fact, I never even spoke to my endo about getting a new pump. I ordered it, and they got the script. I was very impressed with customer service, both by email and over the phone. From first inquiry to potentially at my door was one week, I actually had to delay it because I wouldn't be available to sign for it.

9. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

We were told that we would have to agree to do the training in order for the doctor to sign the order because of liability issues. So we sat through training with a nurse at the office. It was her first training on the tSlim, and I felt like I knew more than she did. I was fine with it until I got a bill for her time! If you decide to be trained, I would definitely recommend getting trained by the rep (free) and not the doctor office.

10. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

We got the t slim last year and they did insist on training. We declined because after 11 years, I know how to work a pump. It took us all of 10 minutes to figure it out. Quite frankly, I just don't have time for three hours of "pump how to"!

11. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I personally hate pump training... I went in for training on my very first pump and new more about it than the CDE that was 'training' my mom and me. I refused training for both dexcom systems I have used, and when I get the t-slim next year I am hoping that I can skip the whole training thing... I'd love to meet with a rep before I buy the pump, but once it's in my hands I'm going to figure it out pretty quickly

12. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I did pump training the first time, which was a long 4 hour process of both meeting with the Minimed pump rep and CDE. I haven't done any training on the Minimed CGM, Omnipod, or Dexcom.
    Though, if I do get a T:Slim approved I might do the training because the cartridge is different and I've never been on a luer lock pump.