- advertisement -

Tslim/dexcom integration

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by quiltinmom, Jul 28, 2015.

1. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Has anyone heard anything about the timeline for tslim/dex integration? I recently heard that the 18 months from submission for FDA approval is up in September (I know very little about FDA approval process). Has anyone else heard anything like this? And does anyone know if, in fact, the FDA really stands by those timelines?

We want to buy a new pump before the end of the year (his old one broke and we are on a loaner now, and I don't know if I should hold off for this or not. I'm trying not to hold my breath for it (it is the FDA, after all), but we can wait another few months, no big deal. I don't want to choose too quickly, then regret it later. But we want to get something before the end of the year and insurance resets.

I also asked about upgrade possibility, but the tslim rep didn't know anything about how that would be handled. Tslim is so new, it's hard to know how they will handle it (assuming approval) but I'd like to assume they would have an upgrade option. Well, we can hope. :)

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

2. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

In Tandem's last earnings call they stated there would be no upgrade program for the integrated pump. I haven't seen anything new about the approval but maybe they're waiting for their next earnings call?

I'd like to be able to update to the new software, but I'm not holding my breath.

3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Does your son carry a phone? If so having an integrated pump/cgm may be moot as the next generation dex (expected in the fall I believe) will go right to a smart phone. I think at this point (for us at least) an integrated device only makes sense once the pump starts dosing automatically based on cgm data and I think that's still a ways off. I don't think Tandem has an upgrade policy which is a bummer but my son and I both love this pump.

4. quiltinmom

He does not have a phone, and we have no plans to get him one in the near future. So that isn't in our near future I don't think.

Which brings up my secondary question, for those already using both devices:

How important is integration? The main advantage just to carry around one device instead of two, right? He has said he won't care about having to carry two things, but that is in theory only...not to mention the third device, which is his meter, which he would probably have to have with him most of the time. Sometimes things and better in theory than in real life. :)

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

For me integration is not that important, it is more of a convinience thing, untill, as jenm999 said, the pump acts based on the CGM data. But that is not happening anytime in the near future. But there are some pumps, like the Omnipod, that have the meter built into the PDA, so as far as carrying different things, if you used the Pod and the Dexcom all you would need to carry is the Omnipod PDA and the Dexcom receiver. Not too bad. And with the Dex G5 you won't even need the receiver.

6. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Integration is no big deal for us. My dd has said she prefers separate devices. Of course, she's been carrying them around for 5 yrs, so she's used to it. Dex is usually in her pocket & she uses a t:clip for her pump. I doubt we'll be in the market for anything integrated for a long time.

7. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

If the only place the number showed up was on the pump I suspect I would drive my kid crazy asking what the number is.

8. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

I've heard so many good things about the t slim, but we ultimately decided to go with the integrated Animas bc I know carrying two devices won't work for my son. We start using the pump this Friday and I'm very curious to see how it will go having the pump attached 24/7 (well mostly). I'm assuming the CGM readings will show up on the pump and if I need to see them I can glance at the receiver as well (such as at night or whenever he's in range). I can't see him carrying a phone reliably all the time at this age, so the SHARE/G5 benefit doesn't help us much outside of a nighttime situation. I'm thankful more companies are working with Dex integration. Having less to carry around is sooo helpful. Now,if they could have the pod be more reliable,with the built in meter, AND Dex integration it would be awesome! One sensor and one pod wireless on the body I could go for along with only one device to keep up with.

9. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

If you are going to rely on both the Vibe and the Dex receiver (and I'm not sure they will send you one; you'll have to use your old one I suspect) you will need to calibrate them at the same time or they will not give you the same readings.

The Omnipod PDA is huuuuge, FYI. My son ultimately rejected the Omnipod and I confess I was relieved because I was terrified of losing it!

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

This is EXACTLY what happened the year we used the integrated system. We switched to Dexcom G4 three years ago, and my daughter says she's never going back. With Share, I can see the numbers on my phone or most of the time, Share isn't going but the receiver is left where I'm responsible for it. We thought the integrated system would be great when we got the system, because she was in the spacey brain/teen hormone stage. The Dexcom has disappeared on her twice outdoors, so we do miss the tethered aspect, but I guess she just needs to evaluate the risk of it escaping pockets better when active outside. (We do wish the Dexcom had a locator alarm on it!)

11. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We switched from a landline/2 pay-as-you-go cell phones/internet to Sprint's Family plan when Share was released. It saves us quite a bit per month, and the independence it has allowed my daughter because of Share is huge. She recently went to an academy half-way across the country away and did well on her week away, despite her ability to sleep through CGM alarms and having awakened to only one low in five years. I ended up calling her 6 out of the 8 nights she was away, but she woke to the phone call every night and we never needed to involve an adult supervisor. (It did take 16 attempts one night because of how tired she was.:eek:) Even a year ago, her attendance wouldn't have been possible.

12. Just Jen

Just Jen Approved members

Sounds like you need one of these. http://www.smead.com/Director.aspx?NodeId=2170

13. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I would say that Tandem will likely stick to their "no upgrade" program since they didn't back down from their no upgrade option with the t:flex.

14. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I think the lack of an upgrade program from the t:slim to t:flex was reasonable. It would be like minimed offering an upgrade program from a 500 series to a 700 series, it just doesn't happen.

Also, from what I understand, Tandem doesn't really have a need for an upgrade program for the T:slim/Dexcom. They are currently working towards a program that would allow it's users to update the software from home, I'm not sure if they have submitted it to the FDA yet. They've also stated that the CGM capability is already in the pump, it is just waiting to be activated. It would make no sense to create a thousand new pumps for a trade in when the existing pump already is capable and just needing a software update. The only issue with this is that even when they do integrate, existing users will not be able to access it immediately because the update program is not approved yet.

I think if enough of their customers create an uproar when it does come out, they'll change their mind. They originally didn't have a return policy, but they changed that.

15. quiltinmom

I just got off the phone with tandem and they said they are "looking at it" but nothing has been decided since the FDA hasn't approved the integrated system yet. So the door us open for hope but is far from a sure thing.

I hope the software upgrade system doesn't take too long to be approved. That in itself is a good reason to go with tandem (assuming it will be approved). It makes more financial sense for a company to have their product itself upgradeable, instead of having to trade it in.