- advertisement -

TSlim/Dex vs. 530G

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Darryl, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Leah is interested in trying a conventional pump after using the omnipod for 8 years. The omnipod has worked very well for her, but the limited areas where it can be applied is now becoming a hindrance. Her CGM is the Dexcom. She is looking at the Tslim/Dex combination, vs. the 530G integrated pump/CGM with the insulin suspend function. Has anyone used both the Tslim and 530G who can comment on the pros and cons?

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We love the t:slim and Dex and would not want the Dex on the same device because I manage him remotely. But now that she's almost an adult her thoughts may be different. I have not heard anything good about the Enlite EVER, but the threshold suspend for predicted low is pretty nifty, especially if one is a deep sleeper.

One thing to consider is that the Dex should soon bypass the receiver and go right to your phone. I would prefer to take out my phone than my pump, and that would also give her the freedom to let someone else "watch" her if needed because the phone is already connected to the internet whereas I don't think the pump will be. It might be worth checking the Medtronic facebook group to see what other improvements are on the way.

Tough decision, good luck!

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I can't comment on pros and cons not ever having a child on a Medtronic pump, but I did want to make you aware of the Tandem app that allows you to push all the buttons on a tslim. Aside from the amount of time it takes to bolus or prime the tubing (which apparently has improved with pumps currently shipping), you can pretty much test drive the t:slim right on your phone. It's called the t:simulator and is available on Google Play and the App store

http://tandemdiabetes.com/tsimulator/

5. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

The 530g doesn't have threshold suspend for predicted lows, only actual lows. The 640g, not yet approved in the U.S., adds the predictive suspend. The 530g Enlite sensor was not accurate enough that I would let it suspend in practice. The 640g Enlite 2 is apparently more accurate. Most of my Dexcom sensors are accurate enough that I would let my insulin suspend based on those readings.

6. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Dd has not used tslim, so I cannot comment on it.
    However she really loved the 530g with threashold suspend.
    We went to dexcom and found her accuracy actually decreased (side to side wearing both devices). However, the new dexcom transmittor seems to have the same (very good accuracy).

Dd hates the separate device, which unlike guardian is not waterprooof or water tight. I have already paid for a replacement receiver. Also she dislikes that it is not attached and she can forget it.

I like that the 530 g does something (suspends. Basal) in response to a low.

On the other hand IME the dexcom has superior range and doesn't loose signal as easily as minimed. (So with the dexcom I don't have to make sure the receiver is right next to the transmittor the way that i need to with 530 g.

Bottom line, for dd, if tslim integrated with dexcom and the tslim could suspend or (even better) the bihormonal pump was available I think she would switch.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  7. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Is the Enlite sensor / transmitter range short like the Guardian? I like how the Dexcom has a 20 foot range and never loses signal when she is sleeping next to it. With the Guardian, even if it was 3 feet away it would often lose signal if slept on the sensor.

What does the 530G do if there is loss of signal? Would it cut off the insulin or not?

8. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Yes, same short range as guardian, and same persnickety "line of site" requirement to read. But IME Enlite is a bit more accurate than sof sensors and much more comfortable.. yes, I agree that the dexcom range is far superior.
    Dexcom has less signal problems. Although sometimes it asks for calibrations at unexpected times and sometimes the ??? Appears.

With lost signal the pump will not thresh suspend. I don't know what would happen if thresh suspend was activated and then the signal was lost. I'm assuming the thresh suspend would continue until cleared by user or until 2 hours was up . But I do not have experience with that.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  9. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

If it will not threshold suspend if signal lost then I would hesitate to use it. At night I am much more concerned with an undetected low than an undetected high. If it loses signal, I want the insulin OFF. I wonder why Dexcom is able to get 20 feet of range for 6+ months without ever charging the battery but Minimed can get only 3 feet of range on a battery that needs to be charged every week. I also wonder why Dexcom doesn't offer threshold suspend with any of the mainstream pumps. It is so frustrating that neither company has gotten this crucial safety feature to where it should be.