- advertisement -

TSA

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by LJM, Jul 9, 2012.

1. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

granted I have not flown but at our pump training our instructor said to put the pump in the front of the person wearing it, cover it with her hands and walk through. She does that with her pump and does not have any problems with the alarm setting it off.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

TSA will make you hang your hands at your side, not touching your body. This has always been our experience. My daughter has a habit of resting her hands on her pump pack and they tell her to put her arms at her side.

Same here, and kid or adult, you should not have to show your site, and especially not in such a public place.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I figure once you've put down that big carry-on bag full of syringes and insulin and all the rest and ID'd it as a bag full of medical supplies, then there no point in hiding the pump.

If it goes off - it never has as far as I can recall - then you say, " that's an insulin pump". Maybe they look at it, maybe they swab it, usually they don't. Last flights included a lot of pat-downs, but that was for all of us not just the pump wearer. In literally dozens of flights it's never been but a momentary inspection.

4. Diana

Diana Approved members

My son sets off the alarm every single time (Animas, no clip). He either gets a pat down or more recently they have started swabbing the pump.

One time during the pat down, the TSA agent could feel the pump (in the pack) but also the CGM which was also in a different pouch around his waist under his shirt. He also could feel the Navigator transmitter. He tried several times to lift his shirt to see what it was, but his supervisor told him in no uncertain terms that he could not -- that it was just an insulin pump. The agent kept trying to explain but his supervisor was adamant that he could not lift the shirt to inspect. Neither one asked us anything, we didn't say anything, and they sent us on our way.

5. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

We have done both ways. His pump has always set it off (the original and the replacement). It has set off the machine in 4 different states. (Animas, no clip).

6. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I set off all the alarms at the Hoover Damn, but with Airports, I only get checked if they SEE my pump, it doesn't usually set the alarms off, and I don't mention it unless I need to.

7. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

We have learned the same lesson. We don't tell TSA she is wearing a pump. She doesn't set off the metal detector because she wears her pump in a pouch and not a clip. She hasn't been asked to go through the scanner yet where we would have to tell them about the pump as she is still under 12.

8. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

every time I fly this happens
    on the way there I have to tell them I'm wearing the pump either because they have the full body scanners or cause it sets it off. I'm super carfull, I take off all my jewery and med alert braclet... even the pump clip... still it sets it off. Then I have to wait forever to get a pat down (never to intrusive though) and almost miss my flight.

On the way back I take the same precautions and don't set off the scanner... so I don't tell them about it and I just walk through like a normal person.

9. mocha

mocha Approved members

Pat downs tend to trigger panic attacks for me (lots of fun), so I try to avoid them.

I'm somehow always picked for extra screening, so I can never just go through the metal detector. It's always the full body scanner or the pat down.

I can't take my pump through the full body scanner. Pat downs leave me a non-functioning mess...

I know all the pump companies tell you not to put it through with carry on luggage, but it's the least problematic solution for me.

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, I'm not good with pat downs. I've never had to go through a full body scanner though, and my pump does fine with the detector I've always been through. I'd be so worried about putting the pump through an xray, but glad to hear you haven't had any problems.

11. LJM

LJM Approved members

Yeah, once you send the bag through with syringes, Glucagon, ice packs, vials of insulin, lancets, etc.-----there is no real hiding it. We just try to put it all in one bag (which I usuall carry on) so they have one place to look.

12. alismom

alismom Approved members

We travelled to Europe last summer and Allison had to touch her pump and have her hands swabbed also.

13. swellman

swellman Approved members

Never swabbed nor pat down and only one full body scanner. We have put juice boxes through the xray every single time and never questioned. Travel at least 4 segments a year - in and out of the country.

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

If I don't tell them about the pump, they never notice it. If they notice it, they recently have been doing the thing where they have him touch it and swab his hands. They used to ignore it completely.

In my experience, small airports are much more interested in all of this than big airports.