- advertisement -

TSA

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by LJM, Jul 9, 2012.

1. LJM

LJM Approved members

Have you people had similar experiences. Both out of San Diego and then back from Minneapolis: DS has his pump inspected and his hands swabbed. Is this standard? He did not have to disconnect or anything just raise his shirt (glad I did not have a rear end site on him;))

No big deal, they just have in the past waved him through even when his pump set off xray. This time more attention was paid to his supplies, etc. They had me open insulin cooler bag and show them Glucagon.

Maybe just because we were flying around the 4th and there were some supposed threats then? Just curious. Not worried about it or anything.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Probably is standard. This has happened to my son the last couple of times he flew.

3. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

When we went to Florida and then when my son went to Ohio they swabbed his hands. He had to touch his pump and then they swabbed. It wasn't a problem though.

4. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Same here, I have to touch my pump with both hands and then they swab them.

5. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Every single time.

6. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

It's standard procedure because the pump contains a "concealed liquid".

I think sometimes it's luck of the draw as far as how "thorough" the TSA agents are though... two summers ago when I went to Hawaii I went through the whole pat down because of my pump and CGM, but on the way home they simply swabbed the pump and sent me on my way... I had exactly the same "stuff" with me each time.

I'll be flying there again in 6 weeks.. this time with the kids. I'm a little nervous about what will happen if they do the full pat down again - I expect that I would be separated from the kids and I'm not really sure how that will work.

7. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We travel a lot. We fly at least 10 times a year. Most recently, we traveled to Germany last month. We've never ever had an issue with the pump. It has never set of any alarms nor have we ever had a pat down or swabbed. Once I had to let them swab the insulin vial. We've traveled internationally and domestic and have never had a second glance. Maybe we are just lucky???

8. sooz

sooz Approved members

Why do they swab the hands? What do they swab it with? Why then do they make you touch the pump? Just curious.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Only once. Recently out of JFK on an international flight they made a bit of a show of inspecting and swabbing the spare pump, not so the one on her. Go figure.:p

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  10. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

They are looking for traces of explosives. They use a tong thingy with a piece of material on it, they swab your hands, device, whatever and then put the cloth in a machine which looks for the residue.

Once, TSA swabbed her pump, her hands and everything in her backpack, including her stuffed toys and video games.

11. LJM

LJM Approved members

He felt a bit weird because his bag also got inspected (we learned after we got home---).

They swab and then they have some tester that I suppose detects explosive residue. Since we flew back July 7--he asked DS if he had lit any fireworks over the 4th before he swabbed his hands.

I guess it seems pretty standard. Not a big imposition, considering. They were all very kind and respectful to him to put him at ease.

12. LJM

LJM Approved members

A 19 month old, really?

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Everytime if the pump sets the alarm off. They make her take pump out, turn it on. We've had it swabbed, other times we haven't. Luck of the draw I guess.

14. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Yes of course, terrorists will use anyone at their disposal

15. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

We all had to go through a pat down when he was 2 but it wasn't because of the pump. My husband, me, Charlie (2) and my daughter (5). When he got the pump at 3 1/2 yrs they started doing pat downs on him and whichever parent went with him. They also do the residue test. When we flew in May he didn't get the pat down but he got the residue test (that was still a nightmare trip through security, though)

16. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Do you tell the people in advance (if there isn't a body scanner) that he's wearing a pump? I've learned over the years that if there isn't a body scanner to keep quiet and see what happens. We always set it off in Boston, never in Ft. Myers or Chicago.

17. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

It appears that Minimed pumps don't set off the metal detectors but often Animas does. I used to tell them about her pump and she would always set it off. They used to do the pat down, but now TSA restricts them for children under 12. But, we also have started taking off her pump and just running it through on the belt - yes, I know the pump company says not to, but our nurse told us that it would be ok and we have never had a problem in all the times we've sent the pump through, and its so much less hassle

18. LJM

LJM Approved members

We have to say something or he could get sent through the x ray machines and Animas says no to that. So we go through metal detectors and his Ping sets it off every time.

19. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I'd say over the last two years or so every time I've flown I've been asked to rub my hands on it, then they swab my hands. I've never been asked to lift my shirt to show my site and I've never been asked to disconnect it.

20. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

It's the clip that's the problem... I'm actually tempted to take my clip off and shove my pump in my bra and pretend like it's not there :p

I recently went to the courthouse and they have a similar security set up and even with the clip on my pump it didn't set anything off.