- advertisement -

Trying to switch to Omnipod with a low basal rate

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dalajosa, Sep 4, 2013.

1. dalajosa

dalajosa New Member

My 11 year old son was so excited to be getting his Omnipod (first pump). We completed all the necessary paperwork and basic training, got the pump and supplies, got ready for the final training with his new pump only to find out the day before that he no longer qualified for this pump due to him not requiring any basal insulin (his need for Lantus had ended since starting the pump application process and this bit of information slipped through the cracks). He was devastated (he REALLY wanted that pump!) but the good news is that he started Lantus again (per his endo) at 3 Units and this seems to be working well as long as we keep his insulin:carb ratio at 1:30. His total insulin requirement (including both slow and fast acting) is between 10-12 U per day.

I would be really interested to hear from any one whose child uses the Omnipod at the lowest basal rate and whether this is manageable, especially is they have a pretty low insulin:carb ratio. He's been stable at these levels now for a few weeks and so we should hopefully be meeting his endo soon to get approval (again).

Thanks!

2. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

When we started on OP last summer my DD was getting 2.5u of Levemir/day. Our first basal rate was .1u/hr which equaled 2.4u of basal/day. We had to increase that pretty rapidly because the switch from Levemir basal to pumped Novolog wasn't 1:1 for us, but at 3u/day I think you should be able to do basal pretty easily since OP goes down to .05u/hr which works out to a total of 1.2u/day, much lower than what your son needs currently.

3. dalajosa

dalajosa New Member

Thanks Deb. That is reassuring. He asks me every day when he can 'switch' but his endo asked for several weeks of stable readings (hard!) before she would agree to it. We're very close now.

4. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

IMO it's silly to expect "steady" readings ever with t1d. I mean, part of the reason people switch to pumping is because it gives them more stable readings than on MDI (usually). I wish you the best of luck and I hope your endo will give you the go ahead soon!