- advertisement -

Trying to pinpoint reasons for stomach aches

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by coni, Feb 2, 2010.

1. coni

coni Approved members

DD has been having fairly frequent stomach aches, primarily in the morning. At first I thought it might be early signs of celiac. Now I have a different theory.

Last night DD ate dinner @ 5:30 and had nothing else to eat for the evening. She woke up in range (153) this morning, but complained of a stomach ache. I finally got the brilliant idea to check for ketones :eek:; they were .2 on the meter. Not high, but I've never seen her have ketones before. So, I think she has starvation ketones in the am when she doesn't have a covered bedtime snack. She went 14 hours without food.

Do you think I'm on the right track? Have you encountered this? Thanks -

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Not in my d son but my non-d son will get stomach aches when hes very hungry, usually if he has some crackers or a piece of toast first hes fine to finish the rest of his breakfast. Are these gassy pains or rumbling stomach pains?

3. coni

coni Approved members

Neither. It's a queasy, nauseous feeling. Today she had that slight gray tinge in the morning. After she ate and was bolused, her skin tone actually looked better. Maybe I'm imagining things. I thought I read a thread about this issue, but I can't seem to find it.

4. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

We haven't encountered this personally, but a friend on another board gets starvation ketones very easily. She has to have small snacks fairly regularly to avoid them.

5. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

My non-D Daughter is currently being evaluated by a GI Dr. She has afternoon headaches and stomache aches. The dr. first thought it might be migraines. However, blood tests also revealed anemia and a possible food allergy. She has to have more blood drawn this week to test for pernicious anemia (her dad, grandmother and cousin have it) and also a food allergy work-up. I am so hoping it is not celiac.

6. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Just wanted to mention that .2 is considered negative but she could just be hungry from going overnight with limited food.

7. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

We have gone through times when that appeared to be the case. I don't know why. Maybe it was connected to growth. It lasted a week or so and then would go away.

8. coni

coni Approved members

I think this may be the case with DD as well. Thanks for confirming that it's actually a possibility.

I know that .2 is negative for ketones, but I actually have never seen anything other than 0.0 before today.

9. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I get stomach pain with ketones. It is a very distinct pain
    I would likely have stomach pain at 0.2. It is also interesting if nothing else to have urine ketone strips on hand, from my experience I would have at least small rather than trace ketones at 0.2

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  10. lynn

lynn Approved members

Do you think that maybe she doesn't know what it feels like to be hungry? I know that my D son has a hard time with hungry vs. stomach ache. He was getting tummy aches often too and one of the things I realized was he complained more in the late afternoons when we missed having an afternoon snack for some reason. It turned out he was hungry and hadn't learned that feeling yet.

11. Traci

Traci Approved members

I'll second Lynn's suggestion. Ds complained frequently that his stomach hurt. I started giving him more food and not only did the pains go away, but he grew a substantial amount from one endo visit to the next! She could be growing and just really hungry from that.

On the other hand, ds's tummy does hurt when he has ketones, too, but he was not having ketones during the time period I mentioned above.

12. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

I have an additional idea for you to consider.

When my dd started having stomach aches after breakfast last year I had two possible ideas and I tested them out:
    1. bought a few different gluten free items (cereals, breads, pastas) and tested those out for a few days. No relief.

2. Then I bought a container of Lactose free milk. No tummy ache.

I've never had her tested, so I can't confirm lactose intolerance, but our experieince is good enough for me. Now I always buy lactose free milk for dd, and I also keep a box of lactaid tablets around. She eats that just before eating other regular dairy products and it works well.

13. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Is she well hydrated - drinking enough water?

14. pam_r

pam_r Approved members

My son says he has stomaches once and a while and I finally figured it out that he says this when he is hungry.