- advertisement -

Try making lemonade when out to eat :)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Turtle1605, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

Just an idea...an old one, but I had forgotten about it until today so I thought I would share. My son said he was tired of drinking diet coke and water when we go out to eat so today, we made lemonade. Just order ice water, squeeze in some fresh lemon slices (2-3 slices) and add equal or whatever sugar substitute you prefer (2-3 packs). Yummy, only about 1 carb per tablespoon of lemon juice, and a great alternative to the same ol' diet drink. Not to mention it is also cheaper :D. Unless of course lemon juice or sugar substitute is one of those weird things that makes your blood glucose levels rise (neither is one of our triggers, but we have many others that don't follow logic or reason :rolleyes:)

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

Is there a reason he can't drink anything else other than diet soda or water? As long as you bolus for it, he can drink anything. :cwds:

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I like doing this at buffets where there is lots of lemons served at the buffet

4. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

We actually just keep the sugar free drink mixes in Jared's d bag but this is a great idea I never thought of that. We have forgotten to restock a few times or he doesn't want what's there. I don't drink soda anymore myself and get tired of water all the time as well.:D

5. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

while I can bolus for it, there are some battles that just aren't worth fighting. a few glasses of soda might double the amount of carbs in a meal (its about 6 glucose tabs per glass!), then combine it with a fat spike later, and YIKES!

I haven't done that trick while eating out yet. I might have to try it sometime! :)

6. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I understand what he means by being tired of the same drinks, which typically in a restaraunt consist of Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi. It's the small things like being able to get a limited edition flavor soda. He probably enjoyed having something different than the typical offer.

For my birthday dinner I literally based my whole decision on the restauraunt having a Coca-Cola Freestyle machine, it was the highlight of the dinner being able to have a Peach Diet Sprite or a Grape Diet Lemonade (that one I surprisingly enjoyed). Maybe you have one in your area, you can search online...:cwds:

7. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Seth doesn't drink liquid carbs either (Except for milk) Not unless he's exercising, low, or it's a treat. It spikes him then he goes low....He's a big water drinker anyway. Not much soda.

8. sooz

sooz Approved members

Good idea! I would enjoy that myself! Crystal Lite also makes those individual serving tubes that can be dumped into a glass of water for another option.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We do seltzer (soda water) with a splash of cranberry juice and slice of lime. Not zero carb, but only about 10. Being that we don't eat out a lot, it's a doable thing. Plain ice tea is also a favorite.

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

There are two things my son doesn't think are worth the spike, real soda and real juice.

11. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

No liquid carbs here either except the Trop 50 orange juice every now and then. The spikes and extra calories are not worth it to her. I do the same myself and I don't have diabetes. With the exception of alcoholic drinks, that is!