- advertisement -

True Life on MTV

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by britbabi84, Jan 16, 2012.

1. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Oh, okay - must have missed that.

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

OK, just got done watching it. Won't go into details as I'm sure others still haven't seen it. Just want to say I was NOT a fan. NOT at all...... :(

3. emilyandkevsmom

emilyandkevsmom Approved members

----------

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  4. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Edited so as not to give away the ending. Let's just say I'm disappointed.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  5. Lee

Lee Approved members

The ending really ticked me off - everything else seemed ok. But OMG!!!! That preggo's mom - so wrong on so many levels!

6. MamaBear

She needed a kick right in her donut!

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

I think it would be best if we didn't discuss too much until the "left coast" has had a chance to see it. :)

8. emilyandkevsmom

emilyandkevsmom Approved members

true, I deleted my post, I must have really missed something at the end. I agree that this is not for younger teens.

9. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I think it was well done. The two young adults with type 1 were both on pumps and attempting to test regularly. There was a basic explanation of type 1 diabetes at the beginning that showed the girl testing her blood, explaining how many carbohydrates she was eating, and bolusing on her insulin pump.

Sure they overplayed the financial burden and the pressure to drink, but those are both situations that most young adults with type 1 face.

Frankly, there isn't too much drama in the everyday management of diabetes, so the show had to play up the drama in other aspects of their lives to make it more interesting.

It could have been much, much worse.

10. MamaBear

DOH! I edited my post. :eek:

11. MamaBear

Well I guess when I said what I said in the now edited post, it's because I was comparing it to the episodes they did on albinism and tourettes. They dug way deeper on those than they did with this D episode,there is a lot more they could have talked about.

12. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Was not a fan, although I don't think the financial issues were overplayed or dramatized. If you don't have the right job and the right insurance, regardless of what chronic condition you have, it's a real problem. Also noticed that the pregnant lady was misdiagnosed and they changed her to T1, but I wonder more about 1.5 or LADA...

I already knew I wouldn't let my kids watch - MTV is banned from our house given the focus on older teens / young adults and things I don't want them exposed to at all. I was still curious to see how the show was presented, and while it wasn't horrible or as bad as I feared, just so not a fan, especially of the mother!!

13. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I didn't find it that bad....come on it's MTV!!! I wasn't exactly expecting to have the show to have much educational content to it or was I expecting to see some young kid going to Congress advocating for the rights of Type 1's. (although that would have been nice)

This is TrueLife and followed 3 different kids dealing with 3 different problems that come with having Type 1 and/or Type 2 diabetes....

I did appreciate the fact that it was mentioned that the pregnant girl had Type 2.

I think that the show hit home with me because two of my fears for Tyler's future are how will having Type 1 affect him financially when he is out on his own and of course the whole drinking thing!

Honestly after the epipen comment coming into the show, I was pleasantly surprised:p

14. 3kidlets

I thought it was done pretty well. However, my one concern is the one girl with T2. I"m afraid people will see her as a mess because of her diet, etc and assume that she ended up T1 and on insulin because of her bad eating. I don't think the average teen watching this show would be able to figure out T2 doesn't lead to T1 eventually.

Other than that, I found it okay. Too bad they didn't have a responsible college student who is an advocate for T1. I feel like they went to the extremes.

15. Lee

Lee Approved members

I really hated how they made it 'seem' that she was T2, but due to her bad care, was really Type 1. That was the impression that I got.

16. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

Overall I would say not too bad. I now know that as a parent I do NOT want to be a nagging pain to my child.

I had a friend in college that was Type 1 who drank like the rest of us fish, so the one college student reminded me of my friend a little. This does make me wander as a parent of a preschooler how I could parent to encourage my son not to drink to the extremes my friends and I did.

The pregnant woman's story was wrong on many levels. Seriously - who asks if ketchup is like eating a tomato? Her mother was certainly an enabler, that doesn't help. I did not care for the way her Type 1 diagnosis was portrayed. I agree that her diagnosis was portayed as she ate so crappy she killed her pancreas single handed.

17. 3kidlets

18. MamaBear

I did, again I expected it based on how the handled the episodes about Tourettes and Albinism. With the Tourettes episode they talked about how it's mostly ticks, and movements that cannot be helped, and how the whole yelling random swear words is a misconception. They also talked about medical needs. I hoped they would do that with Diabetes, maybe talk about the whole misconception of it being caused by sugar/diet. In fact I think they helped fuel that misconception a little with the pregnant girl and her mother.. uck her mother.

With the Albinism episode they went to the eye doctor with these kids and addressed the issue of sight problems and how it can be very difficult for a person with albinism to get a drivers license because the condition causes severe vision problems. I was hoping with D they would talk about some of the seriousness of it and the possible health problems possible with D.
    They barely went to the A1C appointment with the T1 guy, and they didn't even explain much of anything for the watchers who don't live with this. I remain disappointed. I know it's MTV but I really did expect more.

That I agree on. I watched that kid's drinking and not caring about his high BGs and it made me feel so afraid. And I don't think the first gal's financial trouble was exaggerated. I know that if my son ever decides he wants a pump my out of pocket would be more than twice her cost, so I could see this being hard on my son in the future.

19. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I just finished watching the show. I think overall it was done OK, however at the end they surely should have said the pg lady was MISdiagnosed and not simply said they changed her diagnoses. It did say since she's no longer making insulin, but the way it was done it look as though she did it to herself by eating fast food so her pancreas gave out... they really should have used the word misdiagnoses, otherwise I think it was ok. A lot of it has to do with the fact that its these kids talking, and not someone making the show up, so you are hearing a lot directly from them.

20. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I wish I could find a way to watch this online from the UK. I'd like to compare it to the diabetes episode of the show The Hospital which aired over here a year or two back, and was absolutely appalling.