advertisement

Trouble with !4 year old

Discussion in 'UK Teens' started by beachcaster@hotmail.com, Sep 23, 2011.

1. beachcaster@hotmail.com

beachcaster@hotmail.com New Member

Hi, i'm new to this and just wondered if there's anyone out there who can help? My son Daniel has had type 1 for nearly 4 years and is finding it very difficult to cope with at the moment, making him very depressed, which he shows in ANGER :mad:.He blames everyone for anything that has happened in the house whether big or small, but he mainly takes it out on his twin brother (who hasn't got diabetes). His temper is getting really out of control.
    His nurse is trying to get us help but as usual there's around a 6 months wait. Would love to hear from anybody else if there having similar problems.:confused:.
    Thanks Kerry.

2. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Hi Kerry. You can understand your kid being angry about having to have injections,,,,, and everything else that goes along with that. On saying that - it doesn't help anyone when they take their anger out on everyone else. As Supernanny would say "that is unacceptable". You could have this problem whether it was diabetes - or whatever. They know how to push our buttons and also know our weaknesses. With diabetes it is very easy to justify them being upset - because it is a pain for them. We have to be firm, non emotional about their outbursts and treat bad behaviour exactly the same for all our children, diabetes or not.

If it is any comfort - they all try it on at one stage or another. How would you react if he wasn't doing his homework? That is a good starting point. Whatever you do - don't let him see you are getting wound up. If he moves from blaming you to having a go at his twin brother, separate them. If he is not getting a bite he will stop baiting. (Hopefully).

3. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Just a thought - are you carb counting and is he on a pump. If you get on top of the diabetes he might not feel so depressed. I know I went through a stage where my feelings were tied to the number on the meter.

4. beachcaster@hotmail.com

Thanks

Thanks for that, it's so hard to not show any emotion when he is being so nasty, tried it yesterday and felt alot better and he seemed to calm down abit quicker aswell. My cousin came and talked to him yesterday, he's been diabetic for about 7 yrs (he's 32), so not gone through teens with it, but even so he said it can be hard to deal with sometimes. He told him if he's feeling angry to go to his room, play on his x-box and take it out on whatever game he is playing at the time or maybe try and sleep it off. Hard though if he's got to go school.
    He's not on a pump, he doesn't like the sound of it, he thinks it would always be there and he could never forget about the fact he is diabetic. He injects 4 times a day. He has recently joined a gym to try and help keep his sugars under control, it seems to be working so far.

5. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

The gym is a great idea. It will get rid of the extra testosterone too! :) Boys! I think going to the room and taking things out on the gameboy is a good call too. We have used big earphones at times - stops them getting grounded for talking back and also shows me they don't want to talk! LOL! Girls! Brilliantly done with the keeping calm trick though. It is a hard one - but the more you use it the better it works - and the easier things get. Keep it up - I am sure you are on top of things now.

6. beachcaster@hotmail.com

Thanks

Wouldn't of said things are ok, but they have improved slighty,so lets hope they carry on that way. Thanks again for helping...