- advertisement -

Trouble sleeping when high?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KHS22, Jan 3, 2014.

1. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

My DD (3) has always been a great sleeper. Read her two stories, tuck her in and you rarely hear from her. She's in bed by 630, asleep before 7pm.

Last week or so her sugars have been high, her TDD has more than tripled in a week! Granted, she was honeymooning like a mad man and was only on 1.5u/day before, but still. We're working on it aggressively, but, nighttime seems to be her worst, and despite these increases, has still been 20 by bedtime most nights this week. We correct, of course, but takes forever to bring her down!

And, in this last week - the kid WILL NOT SLEEP. It's currently 930 here, and she's still wide awake! Wired and talking and jumping on the bed etc!! It's been like this every night, we don't get her to sleep till 10 or after, usually with a LOT of effort!!

So, is this just a weird toddler sleep rebellion, or has anyone else noticed that if the kids sugars are high they have difficulty sleeping?

2. Thornbird

Thornbird Approved members

I would say, in general, DS is way more symptomatic with highs than lows- cranky, sleepless, more prone to meltdowns... When he was on MDI and didn't wear a CGM, night times were a huge guessing game for us and he almost always tested high at bedtime. It was hard to address this high without causing him end to up low in the middle of the night, so it was a constant struggle for us.

3. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Yes, my son is jittery and can not get to sleep when he is high.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter was a fantastic sleeper prior to diagnosis, but it changed overnight. If her IOB isn't worn off, she feels the drop happening and doesn't go to sleep, even if she's tired and opts to go to bed early. I don't know what I would have done if she were your kiddo's age!

5. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Thanks for the replies, I guess at least its explainable her sleep change then. But SIGH I'm going to go crazy!! As you well know, you don't sleep well at night, up for night checks and such, but at least the 7pm till I went to bed was a bit of a break!! Not anymore...

Hopefully her sleeping will improve once her sugars are a bit more stable...

How old was your little one Momofsweetone? We knew my E was high risk and I was just PRAYING for her to be older - at least the 10ish age. Toddler with diabetes is no fun!! (not that it ever is!)

6. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I wouldn't say it's just when she was high, but my daughter suddenly needed less sleep after diagnosis. She was always a fabulous sleeper - fell asleep easily, stayed asleep, slept lots of hours every night. That ended with diabetes. She was sleeping a few hours less every night. It never changed. To this day, she still sleeps less than others her age. Last night, she went to bed about midnight and was up at 6:45. Perfectly fine and happy, too. I always joke that insulin is her caffeine :p

7. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

That is so strange!! I could see if it was that they were sleeping a lot just before diagnosis because they were sick, but huh.

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Mine is 14, started on insulin at 11. She still needs more sleep than most kids her age; she just doesn't fall asleep early like she used to. Maybe some of the change is puberty sleep cycles, but I do know it really frustrates her on the nights she's exhausted and goes to bed early...and is still awake 3 hours later waiting for IOB to wear off. I don't think it's anxiety, either, because we have the G4 and she knows I'm monitoring her, so she's safe from going low.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Do you think that she's awake because she's aware of her blood glucose shifting, or is she watching the IOB on her pump?

10. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We have this problem with my son when he's high - it's literally like he's on drugs. Bouncing off the walls. He has a lot of energy to begin with, but add being high on top of that and it is unbelievable. That is one of the reasons I took so long to figure out he was diabetic because I knew one of the symptoms was being tired all the time and he was wired, sleeping as little as humanly possible.

I think for him it is just something that happens when he is high, and he's been so much better since he's been on insulin I have no trouble telling when he is high because he just won't settle down. The CGM has helped with that a lot - heading off his blood sugar before it spikes too high so we don't have side effects like the sleeplessness too often.

11. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Sounds EXACTLY like my girl. She has literally been having giggling fits while jumping on the bed at midnight - crazy in her eyes, just WIRED!!! Tonight she's 9, so I'm hoping for the best sleep in a while!!!! Good to know its not just me!!

12. kirsteng

kirsteng Approved members

My son was always a "good" sleeper, in that if we put him to bed, he'd amuse himself for a little while and then fall asleep independently.

What was different about our T1 though, was that from the age of about 1 - he 'bashed' in his crib, as we called it. Like rocking - like a child in an orphanage... back and forth. It was so strange - it was how he seemed to comfort himself.

In the few months prior to his d/x at age 3 1/2, his 'bashing' increased to new levels. He's wake up in the night numerous times and we'd hear him rocking and chanting in his room. It was quite worrisome actually, as we couldn't figure out why such a little kid wasn't sleeping more soundly and was waking up so often in the night.

After d/x and his start on insulin, he started sleeping through the night soundly. Whenever he has a night with highs though, he is MUCH more restless, and occasionally wakes up and rocks in his bed. It is very infrequent now though, maybe once a month.. and his bg has to be over about 15 to trigger it.

Makes me sad to think that he was perhaps experiencing high bg's even at the age of 1 or before.

13. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I have the complete opposite. When I was diagnosed they told me to snack before bed (I was on NPH at the time) and I kept up the habit. Now I'm older and on the pump and I don't think pre-bed snacking is a good habit, so I'm trying to break it. But I've realised that I can only sleep when I'm either full or have high BG (or both!). Trying to get to sleep with a normal BG is so hard, makes me think I'm going low and just generally keeps me awake. Whereas when my BG is high, even during the day, I have a hard time keeping my eyes open - it makes me so drowsy. I don't sleep as well when I'm high - I wake up feeling sluggish and dehydrated - but I drop off very easily. YDMV I guess!

14. Albie

Albie New Member

It could be high adrenaline levels causing the high BG levels as well as the high activity / difficulty getting to sleep. Try giving some salt (1 or 2 grams ) and baking soda (teaspoon) before bedtime. Extra sugar might help too.

Hope this helps.

15. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I've noticed that the last few times my daughter was running high at bedtime that she couldn't fall asleep. She wasn't restless (that's when she's low), but she said she felt like she had just drank 3 cups of coffee (LOL, she's never had a cup of coffee).

16. Mish

Mish Approved members

My son sleeps fitfully when he's high at night and doesn't feel rested in the mornings because of it. He can really feel it after a few nights of high BGs (puberty anyone?). He's definitely made that connection between highs and poor sleep.

17. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I find that if I feed my daughter a nightly meal of bacon and eggs, she doesn't go high, which means she sleeps well. Didn't you hear, it's the magic meal...;):rolleyes:

18. artificial pancreas mom

artificial pancreas mom New Member

my daughter also had trouble sleeping at nite. she was diagnosed at the age of 5 1/2 and she would have what i would call nite terrors before she was diagnosed...she would wake up screaming at he top of he lungs, and would look straight through me like i wasnt even there...took me like 15 minutes to calm her down...freaked me out i thought she was possessed or something..scary wild look in her eyes...and that all started at he age of 3 or so...guessing the onset of it but i never knew...also she has no memory of her preschool years at all..knows nothing of what im talking about when i mention it to her, nor can she remember her teacher or her classmates from then...horribly sad

19. hopefull340

hopefull340 Approved members

My daughter often has nightmares if she is high before bedtime. She doesn't sleep well at a high number. We will have to try the magic bacon and eggs trick:)

20. Mish

Mish Approved members

now see, I was doing omelets with sausage. I didn't know all I had to do was learn to scramble eggs. ;)