- advertisement -

trouble getting multiclix

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by roo'smom, Jun 2, 2014.

1. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Has anyone else had difficulties getting the multiclix barrels from your supplier? Liberty does not carry them anymore, nor does Edgepark (according to a friend). My next step is Express Scripts. I've also heard a rumor that they're doing away with it/them, and am wondering if anyone else knows anymore about this. Please say it isn't so!!

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I actually don't do lancets through my insurance, we don't change them often enough and have about 3 different types (fastclix, multiclix, and then softclix that's rarely used), so I just buy a box and it seems to last forever! Amazon has multiclix right now for 9.99 for a box of 102, free shipping. So if you can't find them at your suppliers maybe buy a box or two there? I hope they aren't doing away, of the 3 options multiclix is best.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

is the barrel for the Fastclix the same as the multiclix???

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

If push comes to shove and there are eventually no more Multiclix refill drums available, have you considered switching to the Fastclix lancet pen and lancet drums (which also hold 6 lancets)? If Multiclix becomes completely unavailable, I suspect your insurance would have to cover the Fastclix pen. What am I saying? You can't depend on insurance to cover much of anything these days (no fault of Obamacare, either).

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

No. I hope they make the multi-clix devices for a long while, as we have a stockpile of lancets. My daughter just got a worn-out one replaced by the company recently, though. She said they were amazed at how old it was.

6. rgcainmd

No, they're different and do not appear to be interchangeable.

MomofSweetOne, looks like you beat me do it with this answer!:smile:

7. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

I heard the same rumor from our pharmacist shortly after DD was dx-ed, approximately summer 2012. The device and lancet barrels suddenly became unavailable at our local pharmacy.

However, since then we've always been able to resupply the barrels either through Amazon or American Diabetes Wholesale. We've also gotten replacement multiclix devices both through the manufacturer and through our endo clinic. So I'm really not sure the origins of the rumor, but it's persistent!

8. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

We just got 9 boxes (a 3 month supply) from Express Scripts last month, so they do have them.

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

I just got a zillion from Edgepark.

I see drums everywhere but finding the multiclix itself was impossible. I had to call the manufacturer.

10. Amzanderson

Amzanderson Approved members

Walmart pharmacy carries them both - very inexpensive too :)))

11. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Thank you all for the answers - don't know why I didn't think of Amazon myself - duh:rolleyes:

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

The patent is up on it, so theoretically someone could start making a generic one just like it, I think that is why they came out with the fastclix.

the one thing that I prefer on the multiclix is that the little circle protrudes from the barrel just a little more and my kids and us can get the poke exactly were we want it. Also I think with a new user you will be going thru many more drums because you are used to pressing the button! ( they got some chicken and egg thinkers over there)

13. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

We love our multiclix lancet too. When we lost our device, I ordered one from Amazon for about 28.00 It was a little expensive, but my son is very picky about his lancet device! I looked in all of the local drugstores and could not find the device. The local pharmacy said they could order one for me.

I haven't gotten any refills in a while, but we usually get them right here from our local CVS pharmacy.

14. MomofSweetOne

Have your child call Accu-chek and say he lost his and how much he likes it better than others. They'll send another free of charge. I couldn't believe it when my daughter told them she lost her and a new one arrived the next day. The worn-out ones didn't surprise me, but the lost one did. My daughter loves the customer service at Accu-chek. They may get a pump sale next time around because of it, too! (She gets better service than I do with being the T1 & a kid!)

15. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

We got the FastClix pen when we were diagnosed in the hospital and went to refill the drum at our pharmacy when we got home. This was December 2012. The pharmacists told us the FastClix was being discontinued. We were flabbergasted. We were like, "We JUST got this!" Went home and called Accu-Chek. They were WAY behind in production and were not discontinuing it, they told me. I asked them what I was supposed to do until they got caught up in 6-8 weeks. They sent me two boxes of drums. I haven't even finished the first box. We use a different meter now, but still use the FastClix as our lancet.

16. rgcainmd

FastClix came out after MultiClix. They both use the same gauge needle, however the drums are not interchangeable. When I asked our CDE about the MultiClix being discontinued, she said that this may be the case because the FastClix is the "newer" model. I suspect that if those of you who are currently using the MultiClix called AccuChek and asked, they'd probably be willing to send you a free FastClix pen in order to keep your business.

17. rgcainmd

You may want to ask around here about the AccuChek pump. Rumor has it that this pump sucks big time!

18. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I am actually waiting for my DME supplier to call me back to order the Accu-Chek Combo.

While to pump is overly simplified, the Combo remote is not. The remote has a ton of features that are not on any other pumps, alarms and reminders, bolusing options. My biggest problem is that there are so few users in the US that have used multiple pumps that can give a side by side comparison of its features.

I am ordering the Accu Chek Combo because I am in love with several of its features compared to the Animas.

* once you hit go the bolus goes, no error messages and fumbling thru awkward screens to figure out if some of it went/ none of it / or all of it was delivered
    *ability to change and control all settings via the remote including basal patterns and temp basals
    *ability to set a separate bolus patterns that will increase or decrease the bolus by a percent IE exercise 1 reduces bolus by 10% or premenstrual increases bolus by 20%
    *alarms and reminders
    *315unit cartridge
    * those are just a few
    *Accu Chek strips use so much less blood than the One Touch blue

Yes the pump is ugly, but my girls do not touch the pump and only use the remote, so it is not really a factor for us. The pump is basically the same size as the PING but the remote is so pretty and colorfull compared to the Ping meter/remote.

19. MomofSweetOne

Oh, she'd want to trial it, but the remote sounds fabulous with being able to temp basal from it. It would be like a tubed omnipod, I imagine, except you could still bolus without a syringe when you forgot the PDM. I do think it's stupid they didn't put the brains into the main pump body as well. I would choose this option over Animas because of how very, very often I've changed basals in the nights and had to dig for the Medtronic in the sheets. For someone with a little tyke who would use the remote exclusively, I would think it would be far superior to Animas.

Besides, we learned at Expo that if a pump requires certain strips, then insurance has to cover it. We like the accuracy of Accu-chek; our experience with Verio IQ was a nightmare, so having Express Scripts have to cover Accu-chek would be a major plus in our book.

20. MomofSweetOne

I hope they don't discontinue it. We have a Fastclix, and my daughter didn't like it. Maybe it's just what we're used to, but I'd chose the Multi-clix over Fastclix as well. Maybe I should have her call and beg for more lancet devices so that we have a supply before they run out.