- advertisement -

Trigger Thumb

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mouchakkaa, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

So my daughter was diagnosed yesterday with trigger thumb. I pretty much thought that was going to be the diagnose. She had a choice of a splint for four weeks or a cortisone shot. She choose the splint. She will most likely have to have the shot at the end of the four weeks anyways, but I let her make the choice. As we were leaving the doctor advised that this was from the diabetes. That I was not expecting. When I got home I did some research and sure enough he was correct. I'm really upset about this. We just passed our 10 year mark and this has been the first thing that has been directly related to her diabetes. I know trigger thumb is not a big deal and it could be so much worse, but the realization what this disease does to the body just became personal. She is only 12 years old and the disease is already affecting her body.

So I'm just looking for some support with respect to the realization of what diabetes can do to the body and to see if anyone else had to deal with trigger thumb before. It looks like if she ends up having the shot it can cause blood sugar issues and most still ended up having small surgery to fix the problem anyways. It also looks like this can become a problem with her other fingers in the future as well.

2. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It is an awakening shock to me as well. I mean we all know that there are complications but we all hope they will be long down the road, that improvements in diabetes care will come along in the meantime, and most of the focus is on heart disease etc.

I too did a little poking around on the net about trigger thumb. On the one hand it is clearly related to inflammation and there is a correlation with diabetes but there is plenty of doubt about whether the inflammation comes before both the diabetes and the trigger finger or whether the diabetes comes before the inflammation and trigger finger. On the other hand the correlation exists regardless. I don't think it is an irrelevant question: if it is the diabetes which is causing the inflammation (which is associated with many diseases) then it seems likely that high blood sugar is causing the inflammation and I might want to reevaluate my approach to handling high BG.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I think it was irresponsible of the doctor to make the assumption that this was definitively caused by her diabetes. I am no expert but there seems to be many causes of this issue, underlying disease being only one of them, and "diabetes" being only one of those underlying disease choices. I have only been dealing with this disease for around 8 years but this is the very first time I have ever heard of trigger finger and it being related to Type 1 diabetes. That leads me to believe it is very rare. Sorry you have to deal with it though.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  4. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Has she been evaluated for carpal tunnel syndrome, or had any symptoms of it as well? They're often seen together.

5. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

No to the carpal tunnel yet. Her bg's have been running higher than normal so I am feeling I should had better control. Her a1c has also been creeping up. We had always had her below 7 but the last two have been 7.1. So it has been a wake up call and the first plan of action is to get the bg's back in the 6.

6. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Don't be too hard on yourself. The condition is more related to age & time since dx than A1C &/or control. There could also be other underlying issues causing, as mentioned in a post above. In my case, it's related to other autoimmunity, which is also common. I hope she gets relief soon.

7. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

My father in law, type 1 for 35 years, also has trigger finger and was told it was from diabetes. From what I know, it is not related to blood glucose control but age and duration of time with the disease. I remember reading at one time, about 10 to 20% of those with D develop it. My father in law has always maintained very good A1c and is very healthy, so I think this is just one of those unfortunate outcomes from having the disease. However, because of your child's age, I find it strange that the dr automatically assumes it is from diabetes. Other auto immune issues can also cause it.