advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trick or Treat

Discussion in 'Stickies' started by cgbphp, Sep 21, 2011.

1. cgbphp

cgbphp Approved members

My son was just diagnosed in June with type 1. I also have a four year old daughter. I am trying to find a fair alternative to trick or treat. Or decide if I should let either child participate in trick or treat. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I would let them participate but just make sure you know the carbs for the candy consumed. The first year of dx, our daughter basically ate a "candy" dinner and LOVED it! Then, she took one piece of candy with her lunch each day for a week or so. If you feel you can't limit the amount eaten with your knowledge (sneaking, etc.) then maybe you should try to find an alternative activity...but most will have some candy involved. Good luck!:)

3. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Candy trade in

My son is 4 1/2, and I hated to have him skip trick-or-treat just because of his diabetes. Someone gave me a great idea and we have done it the last two years.

My son trick-or-treats with his sister, just like normal. We might have a small piece of candy or two when we get home. He then trades in his candy, and we go to Toys R Us and buy him a toy of his choice (within reason of course). W

We talk about candy trade in for a while before Halloween to get him excited about picking out a toy. This has worked great for us!

4. lisac

lisac Approved members

Since we have other (non-d) kids, we knew we couldn't skip out. It's always been a big, family thing to go trick-or-treating together. My husband and I dress up and everything!! So we buy the candy back. They all go through their candy and pick what they want to keep and they "sell" the rest of it back to us. When we discussed doing this for Hadlee, the other kids wanted to do it too!! We limit how many pieces (of what they keep) they can have at a time. We save the rest back (what my husband and I don't eat:)) and use to treat low blood sugars. We've done this for 2 yrs now and it's worked well.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  6. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Theres no reason you can't go trick-or-treating as usual, you just need to give insulin for candy as with any other food he eats. A PP posted carb list links for common Halloween candy that should help. You could also incorporate a piece or 2 into meals if you find that easier. I don't recommend finding alternatives to trick or treating if thats what you have always done. You don't want your son growing up resenting D. Its definitely do-able, good luck!

7. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

My DD is only a month out from Dx We explained to her that we would be happy to pay her for any candy she collects. :) (some I will keep for lows, but really we were never candy folks prior to her Dx)

I also ordered via the UNICEF website boxes she can use to collect money for kids around the world http://youth.unicefusa.org/trickortreat/

8. Jake's mom in NC

Jake's mom in NC Approved members

I still let my son trick or treat last year because he was so excited about Halloween (he was diagnosed Sept. 20th) and I don't want him to miss out. He chose a few of his favorites which we kept and saved for special times and the rest we donated to a local dentist in the area who was doing a trade in. We would bring in the candy, weigh it and then the kids were given some great treats including pizza and they had the local fire department there, an army truck and a face painter. The dentist then sent the candy he collected to the troops. It was a great day and with all of that fun, he was happy to trade in his candy! Check out your local business, from what I understand trade in programs have become pretty popular.

9. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

Trade at home

We have family and friends give out sugar free gum, tic tacs, altoids, fruit, and other low carb snacks. We also do a trade at home for the regular candy by exchanging coloring books, crayons, small toys etc. This is done in a precise manner. Dad tries to get all of the candy away from Kaylee before she runs out of good prizes. Works most of the time.