advertisement

Trialnet Results

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mytribeof5, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Mytribeof5

Mytribeof5 New Member

So a quick background, my daughter has had up and down blood sugars for about a year and a half, shes tested through trialnet and they found 1 antibody. She had her glucose test and her fasting was in the 50s (We've seen lows like this recently) and she shot up to over 200 during the test but came down into "Glucose impaired" level by 2 hrs. She also does not have the protective gene they look for. The endo through trialnet said her pancreas is sick and not functioning like a normal pancreas should. I guess im not sure what im writing/asking.. Has anyone been in this position? We go back in about 5 months for a repeat OGTT. Does anyone know what the protective gene is called? The endo said its pretty obvious where this is heading.. :( Would love to hear any stories from anyone that can relate or has been through this with trialnet..

2. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

My friends son was diagnosed(showed markers) thru trial net. Her 2 other children already had type 1. He was later diagnosed with type 1. Advantage was that they already knew what they were dealing with. He very quickly went on insulin pump. My son tested every year since my daughter was diagnosed. Came up positive on the last year he tested(at age 18). At the re-test, it was negative, and no issues since then. We always told my son, it was to help others by doing the test, so they could help figure out type 1.

I say do not let yourself get too stressed out. you already know what type 1 is. if he gets it, you will already know what you are dealing with. Better than the first time when you had no idea what type 1 was.