- advertisement -

Treating ketones while sick.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by myshell, Nov 10, 2014.

1. myshell

myshell Approved members

My son has been sick for almost a week. He is on antibiotics. We have been in touch with his endo. His fever is gone, BG back within range. This morning ketones were small. He has been drinking some water. He tested about 20 minutes ago and now his ketones show moderate. I cant give insulin at this time because I am afraid his bg will go low. What do I do?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Is he eating?

3. dpr

dpr Approved members

If he can hold some thing down try Gatorade with some insulin. If his stomach is a bit queasy maybe some regular ginger ale.

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

How does he feel? Does he have a stomachache? If he feels fine, personally I would be less concerned than if he still feels sick. You could try some sprite or ginger ale and give insulin with that if he can keep it down. Also, keep in mind the urine ketone sticks are telling you what was going on 2-4 hours ago.

5. myshell

myshell Approved members

He is eating very little. now I just took his temp. It is 100.4. I have him drinking a lot of water. I didn't know the ketone sticks represent 2 to 4 hours previous.

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

You need to get something carby into him, so you can give insulin to cover the carbs and bring down the ketones. Popsicles, tea with honey, flat ginger ale (stirred to take out the fizz) are all carby and also easy on the stomach. :)

7. myshell

myshell Approved members

Last year he had the flu and was better in one week. Is there something else I should be doing or checking? He eats half of an almond butter sandwich whenever he takes medicine. He was drinking ensure and eating yogurt but the nurse said dairy isn't good for his stomach right now. He is a very picky eater and his throat hurts.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

My money is on starvation ketones which will clear as he begins to eat again. As for the duration, it just sounds like a particularly nasty bug that is taking time to shake. I'd also steer clear of dairy for now and push clear fluids and BRAT foods. Good luck!

9. myshell

myshell Approved members

Thank you.

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

Tea with lemon juice and honey is good for a sore throat and gets some carbs into him.. :cwds:

11. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

We learned at camp (and have also been told by our endo) to give mini doses of glucagon in cases like this. One unit per year of age up to age 15 (after that it is just 15 units). I wish I had had this info last year when my daughter had a horrible stomach virus. It would have probably kept us out of the ER.

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

I don't think this is a mini-glucagon type of situation.

13. Lori_Gaines

Maybe I misread the OP, but I thought it was stated that the CWD was presenting ketones but not able to get the BG up enough to give enough insulin to help get rid of the ketones.

14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

maybe large sustained ketones and low bg?

15. wilf

wilf Approved members

I don't get the impression they've been trying too hard with the carbs, and I also don't get the impression that the ketones are in the danger zone. :cwds:

16. Lori_Gaines

Ahhhhh true story. When we went through this last year, she had large ketones for hours that we could not get rid of. I am still traumatized lol.

17. wilf

wilf Approved members

That's awfully scary. We've used miniglucagon once in that sort of situation - it worked like a charm.

18. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I still have not done a Mini-glucagon, but almost did with a strong antibiotic induced absorption problem that came out of no where. And again when I felt uneasy with giving insulin with normal BG but high ketones, but made it thru.