- advertisement -

Traveling?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Jordan, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Jordan

Jordan Approved members

I have some questions with traveling in airports and such with your supplies.
    My dad travels for work, sometimes just to other states, sometimes to other countries, and he might let me and my friend go along with him for a trip overseas. Now, with the airport security being as strict as it is, how do you bring your supplies along? How do you get through security without being like hounded by people? I know they have to allow you to take your needles and insulin and meters and such along with you on the plane, but do they like make you sit somewhere separate from other people?
    I've always wondered! haha:)

2. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

The TSA's are NOT allowed to touch your stuff. You take anything you need in a bag and they will ask you to move it around so they can see it. You should bring a letter from your endo saying you have diabetes. They are very understanding. And no, you sit it the seat you bought tickets for, whther you are by a stranger or not.

3. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

I've been overseas on vacation three times(Going to be four in May), and I have never had any problems. I just put all of m supplies in my carry-on along with a letter from my endo. They have never said anything about my supplies. They did ask me to remove my pump but I refused. As for seats on the plane, you sit where you were originally assigned.

Just me being curious, what country are you maybe going to?

4. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Get a letter from your endo listing all your supplies and that they must remain with you. If the country you're going to speaks a different language, have the letter in that language as well.
    Print out info from the TSA website so if they do say you can't have something you can show them their info and ask to speak to someone higher on the ladder.

5. diamondback688

One more thing. If the country you are going to does not speak English, try to learn how to say "I need sugar", "I need a doctor", etc. in their language, so in case something happens.

6. Jordan

Jordan Approved members

Thanks guys!

Australia! :D
    But he's still deciding if I get to go or not! >_<
    haha

7. diamondback688

Awesome. I've always wanted to go to Australia. If you get to go, take lots of pictures. I want to see them.:D

8. BobbyJackElmo

BobbyJackElmo Approved members

That's soo not fair!! LOL Australia would be fun. I've never been out of counrty my mom just so happens to be scared of going on cruises and flying. XD Have fun though.

9. geeme

geeme Approved members

travel and oz

hello
    my partner who is T1 and I are thinking of travelling soon too so the info you guys havw given has been helpful for me too...also just to add, I read somewhere that you should carry insulin in carry on only because it can freeze in cargo...and that cant be good...

also, Australia is beautiful!! though i may be biased as I am an aussie and live there lol its sunny and beachy...nice people too i think even if i do say so myself! :)

10. DylansMum

DylansMum Approved members

Hi, if you go to Australia, you won't have a problem with your supplies etc.
    I went to Australia for 2 weeks and went through both Sydney and Brisbane Airports without any problem, in fact they didn't even want to see Dylans pump, I didn't even mention he was wearing one, I had a letter from Starship Hospital and they didn't even want to see it, as soon as I told them Dylan was a Type 1 Diabetic and what was the bottle in my bag, I said I had his insulin supplies, medicine etc, and they were fine.
    The customs guys at Brisbane Airport were so helpful, they unzipped my back pack that I had Dylans medication, had a quick look at the bottle of medication and zipped up the bag.
    No problems whatsoever.I never ordered him a special meal either, just a kids meal, meals that they serve on planes now are quite healthy anyway.
    You are not put in any special part of the plane. Most countries have custom agents that speak English, and if you go to Australia, the language is not going to be a barrier.

Hope you get to go.

Kim

11. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Same here :p.