advertisement

Transitioning from Pump to Tresiba

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Hstntxag, May 31, 2018.

1. Hstntxag

Hstntxag Approved members

Hey there-

Our 17 yr old son has decided to take a pump break this summer due to scar tissue and hitting blood vessels at site changes more and more frequently. He has a muscular build with very little fat so site options are limited.

He will be taking Tresiba as his long acting insulin and humalog for short acting, via InPen.

We were told Tresiba acts differently than Lantus and might take several days to take full effect.

Any experiences anyone would like to share regarding transitioning from the pump to Tresiba? Specifically time of day dosing and how many days it took for blood sugars to regulate. Well aware YDMV :)

Thanks!

2. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

We used Tresiba for the first time on a 3 week pump break last summer. It was much better than Lantus in that my daughter says it doesn't sting and we could do one shot a day. We always had to split dose Lantus because it did not last a full 24 hours, resulting in highs. We had tried morning, then tried night and finally settled on splitting the dose.

Our dose did not directly translate over from our total daily basal on the pump. We had to take maybe 25% more in Tresiba than our pump basal had been. I can't really compare it to our Lantus dose since we only use the long acting insulin about once a year and her dosing changed so much during that time because she is 12.

We did our dosing in the morning when she got up. We were on vacation so that varied and changed once we got home, but one of the great things about Tresiba is that the timing doesn't matter so much. I would say it took a good 5 days for us to get to the right dose and get stabilized. Once we got there, it worked pretty well. It was definitely better than Lantus had been. It gave a fairly steady line on the CGM.

I hope that helps.