- advertisement -

totally P-O'd at the school nurse!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by valerie k, May 17, 2011.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

You want a detailed 504.

Start a thread on this, I'll g'tee you'll get lots of help and suggestions.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

OP-

I would definitely get new orders from your endo stating exactly what does and does not need to be done in order to help your son. Also, touch base with the truancy officer in your town and find out as much about the laws as possible.

I'd be steaming over this meeting.

3. ethical_erin

ethical_erin Approved members

My apologies on behalf of all other school staff

I'm an RD who is also a licensed and practicing SPED teacher. In my district here in Arkansas, attendance (possible discrepancies) are actually part of the IEP and/or Individual Healthcare Plan. For example, when our T1D kids go to endo clinic, that is NOT counted as an absence that day. If a child has medical issues (diabetes, seizures, etc.) that could prohibit them from attending a full day now and then, it is NOT held against them. I think that is so fair, and I haven't seen it abused here. Your story made me cringe, and I wish I could help that nurse to be more understanding and fully aware of your child's needs. Thanks.

4. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

I am wondering if it is not part of your son's daily morning routine to check his BG, much like dressing & brushing teeth? I guess IMO at 11 & having D for several years I would expect him to be responsible for this basic task, with oversight from parents. I get that your husband is not routinely in this role, but "did you check?" each AM would seem a pretty standard morning query in a D family, esp if you are embroiled in issues w/ the school. Since there has been recurring issues w/ AM ketones that interfere w/ your son getting to school on time, I would suggest your family consider an early AM BG check built in place that would allow time to correct/recheck before school hours so he is in a good place medically well before he is expected at school--maybe you or dad could check him in the early hours while he sleeps so when he wakes up he can check and find his BG in range and feels well too, ready to go.

Our kids are going to school, not to a medical appt and clearly they can not learn anything w/ a BG/ketones so high. My biggest question as I read your post is WHY is he so high on a routine basis that would lead to ketones/need to miss school? A visit to the endo would seem a good idea to help figure this out, something is not working...

Agree school did not follow plan and would inquire why you were not called too. If your son has a cell phone, perhaps could be built into 504 to text/call you when out of range too? So would address the nurse issue but for the good of your son's health and education--most important to get to the root of the problem w/ his BGs/ketones.