- advertisement -

Tornado warnings

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lakeman, May 22, 2011.

1. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

So here we are sitting in the basement because the sirens went off. We are calm; I have doppler radar open on the computer and the kids are watching a show about bears on PBS. We realize that it is time for lantus so I go upstairs to get the shot ready and my wife says: "The backpack (where we keep our meter and insulin when we travel), what are we doing down here without the backpack?"

Duh! If we are going to go downstairs because there might be a tornado we should clearly have brought the backpack with us. Otherwise, unlikely as it may be, we could find ourselves with no access to needed meds.

Hope this thought may help others to not do the same in the event that they ever may need a "go" bag.

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh dear!:eek: I hope there is no tornado and that you are all safe and sound. This is a good thing to think about. Where are diabetes supplies in case of an emergency? I think we will discuss that before hurricane season here. It's a good idea to have a back pack like that.

3. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

We are in the middle of a storm/possible tornado brewing so your message is very timely for us! We probably would have done the same thing....except that we don't have basements here in Texas. (I've always been jealous of a basement).

Thanks so much for the reminder!!:cwds:

4. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

We had to do that a few times this year- head to the lower level and watch the satellite on weather.com. I bring snacks and food too in case we are stuck without food for awhile because he is on lantus. I make sure I have everything we need, meter, strips, lancet, alcohol pads, lantus, humalog, ketone strips, glucagon pen, the whole schlemiel. I grew up in Indiana so I guess going downstairs to wait out tornadoes is kind of part of life. My dad used to put football helmets on everyone.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

I don't miss the Kansas tornadoes at all! That is one of the reasons I live in Maine now ;). But it is a great question - how do you make your emergency supplies a priority in times or tornadoes, zombie attacks, or other natural disasters?

6. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I did a blog on this after the tornadoes came through Alabama. We just lost power, but it got me to thinking about what we need in our basement. I read about people being trapped in their houses and realized we need a decent supply of stuff. Even if not trapped, if the upstairs got blown away, we would need supplies with us!

I have a box in the basement now with about a months supply of everything but insulin and we will grab a new vial of that as we head to the basement next time. We don't have a safe room in our basement like we did in the house we built, so we get in our car inside the basement (I use it for a garage). I figure two layers of protection are better than one. The box goes in the trunk. If the worst happened, we could drop the back seat to get to the trunk supplies even if their was stuff on top of the car.

Hope we NEVER need to actually use the stuff in that box.

7. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

I keep some pump supplies in the basement, and when we have to run to the basement, the entire amount of insulin in the fridge goes with us. We then, pop it in a cooler down there and put an ice pack in with it. Im not leaving it to chance that the top half of the house wont blow away but leave my fridge intack so I have my insulin.

8. lynn

lynn Approved members

When I was in California waiting during my son's second surgery, there was a tornado about three miles from my house! My other six kids were home and were clueless about the threat--they were watching netflix. I had to tell them to get to the basement.

We have since had some discussions about what needs to run to the basement in case of tornado. It's weird because I always bring Nathan's bag and insulin down with us but they had never noticed...

9. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I hope you're okay- I know there were some bad tornadoes across the US today.

10. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

Yesterday we had a tornado warning too - April 27th our world was wiped out by tornadoes, terribly. So yesterday, when the sun was shining and we heard the siren, we thought "they're testing the siren." NOPE, upon checking the radar, we found out we were under a tornado warning, there was one spotted on the ground less than 5 miles away. Of course 2 minutes later we were slammed by the rain/hail/wind, but this time we missed it, and it was only 1 tornado, not 53 of them in a row.

11. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Oh gosh...you're not in Missouri are you??? So sad for all of those affected yesterday.:( Let us know you're okay!

12. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

After reading an article about Missouri I came straight here to check on you. I hope he's not in Missouri either:eek::(

13. selketine

selketine Approved members

Minnesota was hit also but not as badly as Missouri (just thinking of lakes and lakeman - and MN is the "Land of 10,000 Lakes").

Hope everyone is ok - the pictures are devastating.:(

14. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

Last time we went into our tornado shelter, I forgot everything!! Luckily she had on her cgm! The weather got bad really fast and I kinda went into panic mode and gathered up the kids. It's scary b/c we have to go outside to get into it. I grabbed our "bag", but there was nothing in it but one bag of snacks and a juice box. I did grab my cell phone, flashlight, and mini vacuum to suck up the dead bugs in there :eek: I keep checking back in hopes to hear from you!! I hope you and your family are ok!!!

15. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

When we evacuated for Hurricane Katrina, I thought we'd be gone for the weekend so brought enough supplies for a week. Six weeks later we finally went home to Mississippi. So frantic--Medtronic rep met me at a gas station in Texas and gave me supplies--extreme kudos for their Customer Service:D

Sobering to realize all the "what ifs" in any emergency...would like to say I learned my lesson about being underprepared, but reading this I realize we have sat in the basement many times and never considered emergency supplies. Thanks for sharing this, will try to remember next time we are scrambling when the siren blows. Hope you are safe in MO and MN too.

16. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Safe and sound and wiser. We won't be forgetting the backpack again - I hope.

Man that stuff in MO sounds bad. I hope you are all alright.

17. momtoirishtwins

momtoirishtwins Approved members

I live in Joplin. My home is destroyed. Gone. Everything. I was home alone with the three boys when it hit. We hid in the closet.

18. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Alissa,
    Im,so sorry.big big hugs to you

19. selketine

selketine Approved members

Please put this in a post by itself on the OT forums - I think people would want to know and offer help and support.

I'm SO sorry for your loss. I hope you and all the kids are fine.

If there are supplies you need, please post.

20. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

We have a kit that has extra pump parts, glucose, glucagon and test strips. Then for another child we have benadryl, singulair, and epi pen.

The only thing we don't have in there is extra insulin. Why? Because our insurance only lets us have one vial at a time.

I've always worried that if the house blew away with the insulin in it we would be in trouble.