- advertisement -

Top 10 Diabetes Time Wasters ?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Trev, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Trev

Trev Approved members

2. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Logging!

Trying to get Carelink to work properly.

Arguing with schools over accommodations.

3. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

Picking up the used test strips scattered about the house, car and yard.

4. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Arguing with the insurance company that 100 strips and/or 100 needles are not enough for a month. I don't care what your standard policy is, my son does 4-6 injections and 6-10 tests per day. Do the math!

Picking up tissues all over the house from finger pricks and injections.

5. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Alchemy!!! Sitting there, trying to balance the carb count and the bg level with insulin and making sure it us right.
    Each injection is factoring in so much, carbs, activity level, type of food, whether he is sick or not, was he lowish or highish, what are we doing next, studying or going to a party or activity etc. etc etc...

We have been studying about early chemistry, or alchemy, which was a combination of religion, superstition, and science. Sometimes I feel like that is what we are doing.:)

Now I am trying to teach my son everything I know of this "subtle art" that is the treatment of a type 1 diabetic.

6. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

I read your list, wow is 9 a total waste of time!! They just aint gonna get it!

Loved 4 too- I set an alarm to for that one in the middle of the night but usually end up laying there awake anyway.

10 was the same as my main time waster I guess!

7. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

YES!!! I agree!!

8. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

They are EVERYWHERE!!!!!

9. lynn

lynn Approved members

Checking in on CWD multiply times a day....

10. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

Time spent worrying - I try not to worry so much, because I know that I am doing my very best for him all the time, but I can't help it. And I know it isn't helping anything, but I worry - alot. Especially at night. Sometimes I will wake up in the middle of the night and start worrying, and I just HAVE to go test him. I wish I could spend less time worrying...

11. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

This is a big one for us because the dog has decided he now likes chewing on them...He manages to split them and then both side stick to the carpet. It is so annoying.

12. KyleBugsMom

KyleBugsMom Approved members

Right now - trying to figure out overnight basals - especially between 3 and 4 a.m. when even a change of .025 can send him too high or too low.

Agree with time spent picking up tissues/test strips off the floor/dresser/ottoman/lint trap in the dryer, etc. etc.

13. obtainedmist

Snort!!!!!!! :D

14. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

I have to agreed with you Natalie, this is a big one for me, taking care of my daughter's health is not a waste of time. But the time you spend worrying about it takes a toll on you from time to time. And of course the lack of sleep.:(
    Also I have to agreed with previous posts, dealing with the pharmacy and their inability to get the kind of syringes right is stressful and a big waste of time.

15. obtainedmist

The recalls are a massive waste of time! I belonged to the "whine of the day club" with Animas just trying to get some replacement cartridges...and now the I.V. Prep!!

16. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Thinking and hoping D is predictable.:rolleyes:

17. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Now that is one I do and it sure is a waste of time. I don't know why I do it , maybe I keep hoping that by thinking D will be predictable it will become so.