- advertisement -

Too scared to let my 7 year old sleep in her own room...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Carseatmama, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Carseatmama

Carseatmama Approved members

Need some advise please. How do I get over the fear of her dropping in the middle of the night and not catching it. Iv heard too many horror stories of children dieing in the night. I am not sure if she can get a CGMS or not. We go back to doc in Oct and I plan on bringing it up.

2. blessed

blessed Approved members

Baby steps...

It is totally understandable...trust me! I worry about my 19 year old at college and whether or not he will be able to deal with a low on his own.
    1st is teach them what to do it the night
    2nd trust them
    3rd as a security blanket for you put a monitor in her room so all she has to do is say your name. I am sure you would hear her.

Don't beat yourself up over it, but take baby steps until you and she are comfortable! You can do IT!!!!

3. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

I don't think the fear will ever go away... The CGMS will get you some rest.
    Don't ask the doctor, tell him you want her on it.

4. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

could you go to a baby monitor for a while?
    we had dd share a room with her baby brother briefly as
    we do not have enough bedrooms anyways and he had a monitor
    so if she called out, etc we could hear her.
    we also do not put her to bed below 130 and we check her around 11pm or 12am
    and again at 5am....

Good luck!

5. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

The baby monitor is a good idea...you could even do a video monitor if she was open to that.

Make sure she has juice, glucose tabs and her meter all ready on her nightstand at bedtime.

I tend to stay up late and check my dd one last time before I go to sleep.

Do talk to your doc about a cgms.

Does your daughter generally wake up when she hits the 50's or so?

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I understand that you're frightened, but it's really important to try to stay clear headed about risk. You drive your child around, you probably let her swim, and ride a bike, and do many, many things that are actually far more risky than letting a well cared for D kid sleep in their own bed.

I read this article recently and it was a good reminder that parents aren't always the best assessors of risk.:cwds:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/19/weekinreview/19belkin.html?_r=1

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Well, what about checking her blood glucose levels several times throughout the night? Check at bedtime. Then (depending on what her number was at bedtime) check 2 or 3 hours later. Depending on that number you may or may not want to check again several hours later. That should keep her covered at night and give you some piece of mind.

I agree with Sarah, there are many other things that are far more risky than her sleeping in her own bed at night. Also, it has been almost 2 years that you have been dealing with this. Have you thought about why this issue is coming up now?

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I have heard a few stories recently about cases of severe hypos at night and the consequences:( Its normal to be fearful of and careful of lows at night but if its causing you to not be able to sleep or other anxiety problems it may be time to talk to your doctor about it and talk to the endo about it also.We usually dont hear everything that happened when a child passes away at night just that it happened and that they had type 1 diabetes. There could be many reasons why it happened, too much insulin being given, incorrect dose, drinking alcohol before going to bed. I agree with Sarah, there are so many things in life that can harm our children. We do the best we can and be vigilent with their care. I think the idea of a monitor is a good one until you can get a CGMS

9. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Does your dd awaken when her BG is dropping too low? Many D kids do and that is a blessing.

My dd is hypo unaware. We have a CGM. It allows me to sleep in my own bed.
    The CGM is an excellent addition to the D toolbox, not just as a nightime alarm, but also as a way of helping a parent or caregiver really see the patterns. (BTW: still need a baby monitor with our CGM (MM), because it is not quite loud enough.)

Obviously people here manage very well without a CGM too. You've gotten some excellent advice from Chris on timeframes and parameters to check and from Sarah on putting this issue into perspective.

I hope you find the anwers you need!

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

I am a parent that deals with nighttime random and severe hypos. So what do I do?

I test her when I go to bed at 11:30ish, and I set my alarm and I test her at 3am...sometimes I vary the 3am to 2 am or 4 am...and sometimes I let a 200 ride and sleep through the night.

I do have to add a caveat though - since her last severe nighttime low (it did not result in a seizure - her friend was there and woke me up to test her), she is afraid to sleep alone, so she has set up a little bed on my floor. She has one of those fold out foam mattresses. I don't make a big deal out of it, she will start to feel more secure and comfortable to sleep in her own room soon enough.

Oh, we do have a baby monitor and we also CGMS. She has not been wearing the CGMS during any of her nighttime hypos though.

Some kids just have very variable nights. These just started with us 2 years ago. We went through a long period of very stable nights where I knew if I put her to bed at 140 she would wake up at 145...we no longer have those though.

11. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

My dd slept in my bed for a long time after diagnosis! Her room is upstairs and I was always scared of something happening. Back then, I was one who rarely checked in the middle of the night ( mainly b/c endo didn't recommend it :eek:) After having the cgm and seeing what goes on and catching lows for no reason, i just feel more comfortable knowing where she,s at. Anyways, I found a baby video monitor on craigs list and it's great! I can see her breathing and all! I still go up and check her cgm several times in the middle of the night. If you can't get a monitor, if you can check her through the night, you may be able to have some piece of mind :) hopefully your dd's endo will be on board with the cgm.

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

She should be in her bed.

If you're worried about night lows then measure:
    - at her bedtime;
    - when you go to be;
    - once more overnight;
    - at waking.

Those numbers will let you know if basals need adjusting. But it seems way over the top to have her in your bed.

If you're that worried about risk, you better stop driving..

13. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Ok newbie question. What is CGMS?:confused:

14. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

Continuous Glucose Monitor. It measures and displays bg levels. It is very handy since it will show if bg is rising or dropping and you can set alarms. There is a forum called Continuous Glucose Sensing on the main board that has lots of info.

Joseph slept with me for a long time since his room is on the other side of the house when school started he went back in his room. The cgm and baby monitor make us feel safer.

15. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Thank you!

16. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Babysteps is right.

Get a baby monitor and see how that goes.:cwds:

The advice about checking overnight when you can is good.

17. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I know wha you mean, my dd was in my bed from DX until 3.5 years, SO i guess she has been in my bed more than out.

I don't lnow if you have a sig other, but even if you don;t, sleep without a shquiwyyy wormyyy is better tan without.

Set an alarm, and have a baby monitor, IF the both of you are ready.

Just like potty trainining.

Set expectations, and live by them.

GOOD LUCK.

18. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Abbey was 9 at diagnosis and initially slept in her own bed. Then a couple of lows woke her up and she read about severe lows at night and she ended up in bed with me. I admit,it was easier for me to check her BG when she was right beside me so I wasn't hurrying to get her back in her own bed. After 2 years she is back in her bed, she just decided on her own.
    Nursery monitor
    A little bell she can use to call for help
    Glucose tabs or juice at bedside
    Check right before you go to bed
    check again 2-3 hours later( or sooner depending on previous)
    FWIW, my older dd who has no health problems went through a period for about 2 years where she slept in my bed. One night she just went to her own bed and stayed there.

19. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

If you can get the CGMS that will help a lot, and until then frequent enough testing to assure you that BG will be OK. Even with the CGMS, you'll need a monitor to hear the alarm from another room.

You get less sleep when you take steps to insure that BG is OK, but in my experience, you sleep better when you're confident that the BG will be in a safe range.

20. Lee

Lee Approved members

Actually, there is a lot of positive info out there on the family style bed...there is no evidence that a child 'should' be in their own bed, in their own room.

A family has to decide what works for them and the last thing they need is a judgment on their decision.