- advertisement -

Toddlers (3/4 year olds) using Omnipod

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by michelleissweet, Aug 14, 2008.

1. michelleissweet

michelleissweet Approved members

Hi Everyone glad to see all are doing well. Been a long while since i have been here just been so very busy at work etc. Love to know i have a place to ask questions and recevie valuable information from people with first hand experience!
    Here goes!!.........We are in process AGAIN of choosing a pump for Aaron.I have put it off for sometime mainly because i was not ready and now Aaron is actually asking for one!!
    How many are out there who have a child between ages of 3-5 using Omnipod? I think i like it because of no tubing yet the pod seems so bulky for a small child i am afraid Aaron wont have too many places to put the thing!! Smiles he is tall and thin. Nurse gave us info on Animas (the new one with the hand held device that is automatic) it sounds very good yet there is tubing with that one. I am stuck between a rock and hard place. Tubing or no tubing? ANy problems with a 3 year old going potty and getting tubing caught in clothes etc? I dont want a pump to be a burden on him he is so young.

Thanks So Much please respond.
    Michelle

2. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

What is his ISF, there are some limitations to ISF with the Omnipod. I think it only goes up to 300 (Omnipod users correct me if I'm wrong). Is he very insulin sensitive? The Animas is very taylored to very insulin sensitive children, in particular those that are still honeymooning. Otherwise, if that isn't an issue for you, then you probably can investigate both devices.

3. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Alex was 4 when he started, and the sites work best for us on the back of his arms. We do tape them down a bit more to help with tubs and swimming.

We haven't had a problem with ISF being too high or basal being too low, since his Lantus was around 4 when we started and has gone up since.

4. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

We are waiting for our POD approval with our insurance right now and my son is 2.5 yrs old. The only thing I have heard about the POD and potty training(we'll be at that point soon) is that if they wear the POD on their backside it can get pulled off when they get up from the toilet :eek: Our CDE told us this! So we will just be VERY cautious when going to the potty and add some extra tape or something. Who even knows if it will be an issue this is just what she told me. We'll probably even start out with him wearing it on his stomach, he's my chunky monkey so we have plenty of padding there, lol.
    IF our insurance will not cover the PODS we'll be going with Animas, but like you we are looking for tubeless, so I may back off of pumping if the POD doesn't work out with insurance coverage, we know Animas is covered for sure...we haven't decided if we want to go that route. We'll know in 2 weeks... GOOD LUCK and I say POD 'it if you can :D If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out.

5. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Adin uses the Omnipod, he started on it almost a year ago. :) There is ample room for my skinny 3 year old to wear the pod without running out of places. Bulkiness was never really an issue as far as being pulled off or anything. Not that we don't want a smaller pod. ;) Yes placement and size was a problem while potty training. I suspect we would have had issues with any pump because Adin's favorites sites are his thighs, that combined with hiney sites makes pottying tricky.

I can tell you the many reasons why we chose the Omnipod and I do not regret it at all. It is a very user freindly pump with many advantages but ISF is one of the biggest draw back for me with having a toddler/preschooler. Adin is very insulin sensitive and carb sensitive. The programming doesn't really take into account those needs. There are tricks and ways around issues that pop up so if you really want the Omnipod I wouldn't let it stop you. But they are some draw backs that they hopefully fix in the near future.

Good Luck and Happy pump shopping. :cwds: I (and the others) will be very happy to answer any other questions you have.

6. SuperGracie

SuperGracie Approved members

My daughter was 3 when we started pumping with the pod, she's almost 5 now. I was sold on the idea of no tubing and wouldn't have it any other way. As far as it being too big or bulky, Grace forgets she's even wearing it. Kids are more adaptable than I think we give them credit for. No matter what pump you choose, your little one will adapt quickly to whatever challenges arise and before too long, the pump will be a non-issue. Every pump poses some kind of challenge but if you're even the slightest bit creative, every hurdle can be "jumped" over It pretty much just becomes part of the daily routine. The pod is perfect for us, can't imagine life with D without the pod although I would gladly kick the pod to the curb if we could send D with it:p

7. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

Sorry I can't help with Pod questions,but you asked if tubing was an issue w/ toddlers. For us....never. He's had Animas since 12 mos old and even when he was that small, it wasn't a prob. (he's 3.5 now). As far as potty training goes, he always wears a pump pack under his shirt, so the tube is never in the way. We do, however, avoid thigh sights for that reason, but I think you'd probably run into the same thing w/ the pod. He wears the sites on his bum alot (we alternate bum, bum, arm, arm) and the sets are so close to the skin (Contact Detatch ones) that they never get snagged. We put a little piece of tape over it "just in case". Good Luck!

8. Mom to S&S

Mom to S&S Approved members

My daughter is four and has worn the Pod for 8 months. We love it. She totally forgets that it is there. She is VERY active and has a two year old brother who tackles her constantly. He's never pulled one off her;) We haven't had any problems because of the size and she is a pretty thin kid. We only have four rotation spots that we use though--upper butt and outer thighs. The endo told us to wait until she was older to try belly and I am a little scared of the upper arms but I see lots of toddlers with them on here.

9. michelleissweet

Thanks for replying! Aaron is not insulin sensitive. How small of a basal can you give i think the Animas is 0.25?

10. michelleissweet

Thank you for the info regarding the tubing!! I really like what i read about the Animas and now the new one they have out with the pd seems really nice. Reading that your son has no problems with the tubing makes me feel much better. Aaron is very active!!

11. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

No, the smallest basal/bolus the Animas can give is .025 (twenty five thousandths of a unit).