- advertisement -

Toddler with Symptoms.. awaiting results.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tag28, May 25, 2012.

1. tag28

tag28 New Member

Hi there,

I am a mom of a very active 3 year old who has been having frequent urination (up to 4 times within an hour) constantly thirsty and hungry. Has had some 'fever' breath (sweet) and moodiness. Has lost a little weight and has major issues sleeping

He had blood work done today and we will be getting the results on Tuesday. I do have some younger cousins who have juvenile diabetes so it does worry me a bit.

He doesn't show any signs of lacking energy or vision, dizzy issues.

Has anyone had toddler who didn't show all the signs OR know of these symptoms that didn't mean they had diabetes?

Thanks!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

From the founder of CWD

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=41398

That said, if your child shows flu-like symptoms you should get him to a Dr even if it's right smack in the middle of the long holiday weekend. Fwiw, a simple blood test to check for elevated glucose doesn't take all weekend.

3. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

My daughter was dx 5 months ago, having said that, I would be at the ER.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Take him to ER if you see ANY worsening of symptoms at all this weekend. He sounds like he could be in DKA in short order, and you don't want that. You're already noticing his breath. That's BAD. Buy some ketones strip at a drugstore, and if he has moderate to severe, get him to ER asap. You don't want him to go into a coma and that's the fire you're planning with. Another mom on here had her daughter go into a coma at diagnosis and was told to prepare herself that her daughter might not wake up. This isn't a time to wait for results on Tuesday.

5. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

Why would you wait until Tuesday if you even suspect your child has diabetes? Why are you not at the ER right now? They will be able to test immediately.....if your child is going into DKA, and you're aware of the possibility, go now.

6. caspi

caspi Approved members

With all due respect, my son was diagnosed within 5 minutes of entering his pediatrician's office. It does not take days to get blood results. If you are worried, and he shows the signs that are listed in the above posts, take him to the ER immediately.

Good luck!

7. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I agree with get to the ER. Please let us know how things turn out! If your child does have type 1 diabetes...there is a lot of support on this forum and we'll all be happy to help you in any way we can!

8. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

I too am horrified that you would be made to wait until Tuesday for results that you can have in 5 seconds. My doctor confirmed my suspicions within a few minutes with a simple BG test and by dipping a strip in his urine. He had us booked into our local Children's hospital within 15 minutes. If you are at all concerned take him to emergency - it can become very serious very quickly. We were told that another 24 hours and it would have been a whole different story. Good luck. I do hope it's not diabetes.

9. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

From a mom that had her son Dx in Jan this year - I would't wait till Tuesday for results. I don't understand why they are taking so long b/c a simple finger prick and meter test will tell you what his levels are and an A1C test results can be back in a matter of minutes -

My son who was 5 at the time was a very active little boy and the only reason we took him to the ER when we did was b/c my MIL who is a diabetic was visiting and she didn't like how much he was drinking and going to the bathroom in the first 45 minutes she was at our house. I didn't think anything too much of his behavior b/c he is always on the go and it was a nice winter that he was outside playing alot.

You said you have relatives with diabetes - if they live near by see if you can stop over and do a quick blood test and see what you childs levels are - we did a test with my MIL machine it would not register - that is when we went to the ER and with in 20 minutes the Dr on call was sitting me down and telling me that we are looking at Type 1 Diabetes and that we would be spending the night getting his levels down and that we caught it before he was DKA which afterwards I have been told that we were close to that.

10. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

Do not wait! You can get results right now. This is something you do not want to be waiting for. Take him to the ER or urgent care.
    My daughter was diagnosed 8 years ago, and we were told she was less than 12 hours away from a coma. Please. Don't wait till Tuesday. You can have a diagnosis in literally 10 seconds.

11. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

My stomach literally feels sick thinking you are waiting for results. I am praying you heed the serious advice of the previous posters. Your doctor could have performed a simple test in his office. I knew before I brought my sweet girl to the doctors that she was going to be diagnosed t1. Her symptoms were right out of the med text books. Frequent urination, extreme thirst, fatigue, sweet breath....she was in DKA and was taken by ambulance to pediatric ICU where she stayed for 2 nights. PLEASE DON'T WAIT. Keep us all posted. Sending prayers and hugs! :cwds:

12. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

I, too, agree with the others. The smell on the breath is a bad sign. My DD was 18months when dx'd, had all the signs... always thristy, peeing heavy through her diapers, the sweet breath to her breath, weight loss. She was sleeping more than she was awoke. I was also told that if I had not taken her in when we had, she would have been in a coma within the 12hrs. Scary that the dr is making you wait for the results till Tuesday when it does only took mintues to know. Good Luck!

13. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

What the hell is it with hoilday weekends and "d" diagnosis?

The sweet smelling breath thing really is turning my stomache. I vividly remember my dd having the sweet smell a day before she was completly sick. I am glad that Type 1 is on your radar but things can go so fast, literally my child was walking and talking to almost gone from the earth in just 2 days.

Please, take you child to the ER and tell them you want an answer right now in regards to Type 1 diabetes.

14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I would go to a children's hospital ER right now if I was you.

15. natallia

natallia Approved members

hopefully she is already in ER.

16. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

Yes, please go to the ER or Urgent Care. The sweet-smelling breath was the last sign for my son (I smelled his breath in the middle of the night after consulting Dr. Google) and the next morning I ran him to the pediatrician and his BG was 550 with sugar in his urine.

17. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Yes, this. I had inklings that something was wrong with my son for a few WEEKS, and by the time it got to the sweet smelling breath he was in ICU within hours, went from walking/talking drinking/peeing a lot to fruity breath and stumbling VERY quickly.

OP, please check back in with us and let us know how things are going.

18. tuckerce

tuckerce Approved members

This scares me so......I just had a flash of the day that Caitlin was diagnosed.
    All I can say is thank God for angels, we had to be airlifted to The Children's Hospital in Birmingham as we were living in a rural area at the time.

What kind of healthcare provider would see anyone with these symptoms and take blood work and tell you to wait until next week, before you find out what's really going on!!!!! I call that negligence:eek:

Prayerfully mom has done something by now.....

19. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Go to the ER please. I called our dr office prior to diagnosis to get blood work done which was done. Days later went for the dr appointment where blood work said "Diabetes" diagonally across the whole sheet. After being sent home and hours later was sent to the ER. Blood sugar was over 1,000, and our son was in DKA.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. Someone in the lab should have to flag this information and the patient should be notified ASAP. Who processes blood work that shows type 1 diabetes, and it sits for days even at the dr office without the patient being notified??

We knew nothing about type 1 so I understand your not knowing exactly how to handle this - but now you know. Get answers now. :cwds::cwds:

20. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Most labs here have protocols where they have to call for "critical values." At my hospital a critical glucose that requires calling is one over 400, so someone could easily have a glucose of something like 390, which is very concerning if you don't already know you have diabetes, and mildly concerning if you do know you have diabetes, and it can go missed until the doctor's office checks on the blood work. It's hard, because for privacy reasons the lab isn't told about your condition except for the ICD code on the order slip.

To the OP- did you go to the hospital or doctor's office? How is your child doing?