- advertisement -

Toddler faking lows - ADVICE PLEASE

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Elycat08, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I'll just interject here my daughter with low blood pressure would complain of a stomach ache at school and at bedtime -- stereotypical kid trying to get out of something behavior, right? But she wasn't trying to get out of something, when she sat still or lay down her blood pressure dropped and she wasn't getting enough oxygen to her stomach.

Sometimes there is a wolf, even if they cry it a lot, do keep an open mind! I had a very hard time with the teachers who never believed her until she vomited. I think it's very frustrating to be a little kid and be telling the truth and be not believed because the adult has experienced some other kids lying. :eek:

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Like others have said, give something which is not "yummy" for treating lows for now. Non-flavoured glucose tabs are good for this, I think. And praise those times he is low and tells you. The other times just casually say "Nope, you're not low." and carry on with whatever you were doing. It's a phase, annoying but temporary (hopefully:eek:).

I didn't have this problem, though our kid without D did take a liking to the darn tabs early on after dx.:rolleyes:

3. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

My 3 year old son does this too. Part of this is a normal phase. My non diabetic daughter tried to wrangle any sort of treat she could get at this age. I'm not sure what your routine is so I am just posting what I already do for my son.

We always test if he says he's low. If he is in time out etc, I come in and test without talking etc. If he is truly low I treat him. If he is not low, I leave without saying anything and he stays in timeout. If he tries to leave timeout I place him back and immediately leave without saying a word. For William this has worked. He knows mom will not give him the attention he craves until timeout is over.

If he is not in timeout and says he is low, I directly ask, " are you low or do you want a snack?" If he answesr that he wants a snack, I tell him thank you for the honest answer. Then use normal common sense to see if I am going to give the snack. If it is 15 minutes before dinner, I tell him thank you for the honest answer but it is time to wash your hands for dinner etc.

I always test William right after he is buckled into his carseat when we go somewhere. When he is a teen driver I expect him to test before he starts a car so we just go ahead and do that now. He doesn't try too much in the car luckily.

I wander if a sticker chart might work? For every time your son is truly low and tells you, after treating of course, put a sticker on his chart. For every x amount of stickers than he can pick a special treat. We use a fish bowl filled with party favors like bubbles, noise makers, etc, and yes some candy is in the bowl.

May I ask what your insulin regime is? Are you doing MDI, a pump, do you use NPH and have a regimented eating schedule? I'm asking because many of our food related issues stopped when William started his pump and he could he more like a normal toddler.

4. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

Hi My daughter was diagnosed at just over 3. Around the age of 4 she would also say she felt low frequently. I felt like It was her way of "learning" how different numbers felt. Sometimes she was low and sometimes she was high. If she was truly low we treated and if high we would correct. Sometimes now at 8 she says she feels "low" but the meter says she's not. I will usually give her a small snack without insulin and check her later. More often than not she is within range and this point. I think sometimes they become so adept at feeling low's they feel it when they are dropping- at least that's what a teenager I know told me.

5. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Brody hasn't pulled a fake low, but both of mine always seem to just be "hungry" at bedtime. 6 & 10, D & non-D both pull that. *haha* I think that's just kids... "I need to pee. I need a drink. I'm hungry. I think I left a toy outside." It's always something, isn't it? :p

6. bisous

bisous Approved members

DS has started doing this a little bit. He's 7 and so a little bit older. Part of the issue is that he thinks he only gets goodies (juice) when he is low and going low is the only good part of having Diabetes. So he wants to be low all the time.

Because of this, I didn't want to take away the goodies and hence the only good thing about having D. Instead, I told him I'd only treat for a low when he was low. And that we could have some fun snacks during other parts of the day. Not "whenever" but sporadically and often enough to make it fun. It made a difference for us. :)

7. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

I have to say, my little one would sometimes complain of a low and she would be 140+! It took some time for me to figure out but I finally realize that she could feel her bg dropping. Sometimes she is heading for a low, but sometimes when her bg is 200+ and we correct she feels it dropping and her body mimics a low. I am blessed that I have a child that ALWAYS feels a low (though she has tried to ignore it when hard at play), but on the other hand I feel so bad that she gets that low mimic when her bg is falling into range. We are getting ready to start pumping soon so I'm hoping that prevents such a fluction in bg so she doesnt have to be corrected alot. Right now on avg she needs a correction about once a day.

Dont get me wrong I have had the occasional fib and I test and tell her she is in range so we will test again in a bit... offer carb free or some water. If she whines for the skittles, then we "have the talk" and find out if she is really "shakey." I tell her she just needs to ask and there is no reason to fib, but she also needs to understand that this kind of treat isnt a great option and try to move her mind to something healthier. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I finally went out and bought a bag of the Dum Dum (13c) lollipops and she loves her lollipop treats. I typically cover and let her have it after dinner or snack so I know there is some healthy carbs and protein on board with the "dum dum" sugar. LOL