- advertisement -

Today was the day of bad new

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Still_A_BeautifulPrincess, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Still_A_BeautifulPrincess

Still_A_BeautifulPrincess New Member

Hell all,
    My name is Samantha and I live in Fl. today i was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes and am now in insulin. I am very devestated and confused and need to talk so if anyone wants to please respond
    .:(

2. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

Hi Samantha, I am a Mom of a 10 year old boy that was diagnozed on sept 6, 2005. We live in Atlanta, GA. I know that you are very scared and confused and I am sure your parents are shocked about this whole thing. But just think how lucky you are to be living in this day and age when so many medicines and things are available to treat you in the most comfortable fashion. And things are being discovered every day. You are not alone and this support website is full of children, teens and parents all reaching out and support each other. I will advise you to pay attention to what the doctors tell you to do. You and only you can be in full control of your condition. You MUST listen to what they want you to do, and eat right and take all your meds. Each day will be better with this and your friends in school, who I am sure miss you while you are out, will be so glad that you are okay and will be there for you too when you get back to school. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post them, and me or another parent I am sure will answer you shortly. Blessings to you and your family. Take it one day at a time, okay?

3. Still_A_BeautifulPrincess

Thank u

Hello,
    I would just like to thank u for responding it really meant alot to me and I will take ur advice and listen to what my doctors tell me and be sure to eat right, exercise and take my meds. I really do need someone to talk to, and I'm glad that I have you.. I will keep in touch..Thank you sooooo much :eek:

Samantha

4. mischloss

Your very welcome. If you have any concerns, etc. please post it. Remember that with proper treatment and eating right and exercising, you can live a long and happy life, grow up, get married and have children. There is nothing that you can't do now that you could do before you were diagnosed. You are the leader of your own destiny so make the most of it. No one knows why God does things but all we can do is not let it get to us. When you get a little more into this and the shock has worn off, there are some really good organizations that hold local events just for kids. One of them is the jdrf.org. You can go on and see for yourself. They even have summer camp!! It's www.jdrf.org. My son went to their Halloween Carnival here and he had the best time. Everyone there had diabetes but you wouldn't even guess, they all were just kids having a lot of fun dressing up! And he saw that it wasn't scary to be around kids with diabetes and they all behaved just like him! Nothing special at all. Some wore their pumps in cute fanny packs on their hips or backs. So just saying when you get in a better frame of mind go and enjoy life and meet new friends that can share in your experiences. It will all be well, don't you worry. : )

5. Still_A_BeautifulPrincess

thank u

thank u again but i have one question ..ok today i just started doing the shots but im wondering what the pump is..can u help me out..thanx:confused:

6. mischloss

It is an insulin pump, and looks much like a small cell phone or pager that you wear on your pants belt. It has one tube at the end of the pump which contains insulin within and the other end there is a patch like thing that is hooked to your tummy or other parts of your body (you rotate the site every few days). It administers insulin to your body 24 hours a day and if you have food, you press a button and more insulin comes out of the pump and right into your body during that time to handle the extra carbs. You don't have to take shots each time you eat. You just place the patch which has a small needle in it that goes under your tummy skin and it will keep giving you insulin. There is a wealth of information on this site if you just look around regarding pumps. It's called "pumping" and a lot of kids choose to go on it because it is just more convenient and they can regulate their blood sugar numbers much better. My son is not on it as of yet. We still do shots for him because he is on the honeymoon phase still. This means that his body is still making small amounts of insulin so with some meals if he has a low carb meal, he doesn't even have to take an insulin shot. But if he gets older and is a teen there is always a choice that he might want to go on the pump. There are a number of pump manufacturers and each one has good and bad sides. You have to talk with your doctor about your personal health plan, how your body is reacting to the insulin and what your choices are going forward. I am sure that since you have just been diagnosed, the doctor is going to take time to look at your numbers for a few months at least just using shots to see how your body is reacting to the dosages of insulin you are getting. There is a huge adjustment period before your body gets into a groove regarding insulin dosage. But once things settle down, you can ask your doctor about his recommendations and listen to what he tells you. For some kids, it is great, for others not so great to be on the pump. Only your doctor and family can decide when and if to try it. But in the meantime, like I said you can read about all the different pumps right here on this site. And stop with the frowny face icons. Really, you are very lucky to have your condition caught in time and getting treatment. So smile. All will be well, you will see! : )

7. researcher2005

researcher2005 New Member

still want help

Hi! If you still need someone to talk to, let me know. I would be glad to help. I have been diabetic for 13 years and on the pump for 12. I love it. I have a beautiful baby boy and another one on the way. If you want someone to talk to, let me know.

Amanda
    d'xd 05/2003
    pumping since 2004

8. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

Hey Still_A_BeautifulPrincess,

I'll admit - being diagnosed is NEVER any fun! And not really so close to christmas, isn't really the christmas present anyone would want. I was diagnosed the night before a big event for me... i was in the hospital in DKA and couldn't go...

Anyways, Hey, I'm here if you ever wanna talk. I just got on an insulin pump this week and already - it is the best thing I ever did for me!

If you've got questions or just plain want to talk - there are quite a few of us here who are ready and willing.

Have a great day!

Beth

9. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

Some Advice

I was diagnosed on my birthday. Let me tell you, it was not a great birthday present. But, don't let diabetes get you down, it will all get better from here!
    Always Remember: Everything will be ok in the end, if it's not ok, it's not the end!:)

10. Pener3621

Pener3621 Approved members

Pumping

The pump is like a 24 hour electic pancreas. I was on it for over two years before I had to get off of it. The soloette is the thing that goes into you and the pump conectts to it. My skin just didn't get along with it. So i got off of it. i am on the inslin pens and that is easier then the regular needle. If you need to talk to me at any time please post or email me. cathie;)

11. Steeler Fan

Steeler Fan Approved members

I'm new here too!

Hello Samantha,I'm new to the site and have been diabetic for 2 years. I still do shots but am tring to decide if I want to do the pump. If anyone has any info on it I have a thread called pumps and would like to know about them.:eek:

I was in the hospital for 3 days and missed a really fun field trip and my schools talent show,and a lot of work.My B.S. was around 600 and I was going to the bathroom a whole lot.:)

Thanks a lot!:D

12. insulinfreak

insulinfreak Approved members

i'm sorry that u have diabetes, but it does get better. i have had diabetes for almost 1 year and ive been through a lot. it definately changes your life , but only a little. like you have to watch what u eat but i dont much i dont overeat, well sometimes i do, and i drink diet soda. u get used to the taste, i cant tell the difference now. and u have to get glucose tabs, they rule and the fruit punch flavor is the best u can only get them at wally world aka wallmart. and the shots and that stuff is easy once u get. and once u reach the one year marker dont hesitate to celebrate
    if u wzant to email me its insulinfreak2@gmail.com

13. Britter-Critter

Britter-Critter Approved members

hey

Hey I just got diagnosed recently as well..right after my 17th bday..my lil sister was diagnosed when she was 4..so she was there to help me..but i'm thinkin about the pump as well..so i know where your coming from if u ever need someone to chat to i'm always here!

14. AllieRae

AllieRae New Member

Hey there

hey im 15 and from Missouri. I jsut got diagnosed in december i know how u feel. its really hitting me hard right now. i guess i was in denile up untill recently. i guess i could ignore it before but now its getting serious. I have type 2 so im still borderline with basically every symptom BUT have low or high sugar intake. Thats fine, well as of last tests which were taken 3 monthes ago. Its hard to not have anyone to talk to. Nobody in my fmaily has it and my firends dont know what im tlaking about or how i feel at all. If you need to talk netime plz email me or reply back because im in need of some1 too!:(

15. live.love.laugh001

live.love.laugh001 New Member

hey
    i just wanted to let u no if you still need someone to talk to you can email me anytime. im 17 yrs old and have been diabetic for 13 of them. iv been through a lot with my diabetes, everything from being teased and denying it to myself and ending up in the hospital to knowing i can get through this and live a happy healthy life. i no its easyier for me to talk to people who have dibetes so im alwasy here when u need to talk.

16. voyseyboy

voyseyboy Approved members

i too am always here if needed im a very laid back guy so easy to talk to if you need any help about anything im here and im on a pump there amazing im from england and been on my pump for 7 months now if u get the chance to go on onee then i suggest you do it all the best lewis

17. hot_cheerleader_101

hot_cheerleader_101 Approved members

Hi Samantha!
    Im sorry about the bad news, Im sure, actually positive, it sucks. In the beginning its really hard but it gets better later! You know theres always insulin pumps and its kind of fun for me anyway explaining it to people. It makes you feel kind of special. Insulin pumps rock specially when you use cell phone charms and gems and stuff to decorate em. If you need anythin email me k? its sixbusykids@yahoo.com. Good Luck!!!

18. hot_cheerleader_101

hot_cheerleader_101 Approved members

Hey the Steelers Rock!!

19. Future_Star

Future_Star Approved members

I know!

I know! It's like we are always near to the pump. You know what I mean? It's like I don't want to see it anymore! But I'm glad I don't have pump!:) Good Luck to you all!:D :cool: :rolleyes: